_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
sanding sticks question
godfather
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 08:35 PM UTC
I was wondering do sanding sticks like those by squadron, flexi-file flex pad or nail files bought at the drug store conform to curves or do they flatten the curve, For example If I want to file a seam on the top the cowling will the use of these types of files flatten the piece? If os what are my options?
f_4phantom1959
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 111 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 12:30 AM UTC
Have a look at the thread " Reading the Seams "

Also good tool to get if you can is a flexi file it can follw the contors (like the wing leading edges and such ) and you can get 3 grades of sanding strips (corse, med & fine ) To give you a idrea what it is I did a google search
http://www.houseofhobbies.com/flexifile.html

Fred
Grifter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 01:25 AM UTC
Yes, to an extent. They won't flatten things completely like a file would, since they are a little flexible, but they aren't flexible enough for the curve of a wing leading edge or a fuselage seam. As Fred mentioned, most people will recommend a Flexi-file, which is a metal frame that has a strip of sanding material strung between the ends of the frame. Think of a hacksaw frame to get an idea.
I don't build many aircraft, so I make do with sanding sticks mostly. Instead of sanding straight across the seam, I go along it at an angle, changing angles often and rocking the sanding stick from one side to the other to help keep the curvature of the part. Not perfect, of course, but not horrible either.
damoore46
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 107 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 05:47 AM UTC
Even a Flexi-file will round hard edges depending on the amount of pressure you use. If you are not careful, you will round edges.
 _GOTOTOP