Hosted by Rowan Baylis
HobbyBoss He 162
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 11:46 PM UTC
Hi guys. Have any of you built this little bugger? I am working on it, nice kit with a weirdly nice fitting but the geniuses in HB didn't put sufficient weight in the nose and there is no place for it because of it's rigid structure, which is basicly the model itself:} Is there anybody solved this in a civilized way or do I have to dig a tunnel somewhere in the front fuselage and place weight? Please help me ...
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2008 - 02:26 AM UTC
Ok, seems like no one have worked on the kit. Well I menaged to solve the problem by acting like Trucle the Uncivil. I du through the radom and planted some complicated weight devices (which is basicly smalest size fishing lead) and refilled the access space with Green Stuff. And it seems like it covered it up. I also severed the built on horizontal mast that supposed to be the pitot tube by simply making a successful flight test. Yes, it did fly a while. But I had a hell of a fun and didn't cut any of my fingers. I also removed the toothpicks which were supposingly MK108 barrels, which also would chop the radom right off in the fist burst if placed that way. I am planning to place some suitable tubes. Also cleared the empty space that supposed to be over the front landing gear's wheel. I was filled because of the one pice molding. To be honest I won't go sissy about it. Weirdly there is virtuely no detail in the Landing gear bays.Anyways, it is the update till now, which should have happened all in 14 minutes but took me 3 weeks. Here are the photoes. Hope to continue tomorrow.

matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 09:39 AM UTC
Thanks for posting those pics.
I have been wanting to get one of those kits but have thought about the problem of preventing it from being a tail sitter so I have held off from buying one so far, it sure looks good for such an inexpensive kit.

Matrixone
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 05:04 PM UTC
Your welcome Les. To be honest at first I thought; "Hey! Cheep and easy, why not, cool, yeah!" but now it dawns on me that I would have built a Dragon one at the time I worked on this. And it is still a nerve render considering the LG bays. Still it is a quarter of it in economic wise. If you'll do it as "in flight" or use it in a diorama , with hiding the cockpit somewhat. It is an ok kit. Well at least that is what I think.
Anyways. More progress:

I realized, as soon as I placed the LG cover hatches (or whatever they are called in English), that the landing gear masts are far too long, specially the rear ones. So I choped off about 4 mm from rear ones and 2mm from the front one. They are still a little too long but it will do....I said it WILL DO!!!!!

Painted the moving parts' borders with a cheep marker so that they may do a little preshading. Did the round section on the canopy(which I don't know what exactly is but never given in models in 1/72) and Futured it.

And this is the belly part:

Next stop; cutting the gun barrels and masking the canopy. Then off to paint. I hope I'll show some more on Monday. I don't posssssessssss a digital camera so I'm photograpfing them at work heheh...
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 06:24 PM UTC
That's a great looking little model. Look forward to seeing it progress
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 08:23 PM UTC
Ok I built the gun barrels out of injector needle, they seemed a little long but it is ok for me, did a base paint for the cockpit and painted the whole fuselage to RLM 76.

matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 01:59 AM UTC
JollyRoger,

Thats a fine looking He 162 and after looking at your model I decided to order one of those kits too.
I do have a few of those Hobbyboss kits (Fw 190s and Bf 109s) and think they are very nice for such low cost kits. I intend to build them and use them as props in the background of my airfield pictures.

Matrixone
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 04:30 PM UTC
Yourwelcome. Can you post a few pics of the 109 and 190s please? I was thinking about buying some but couldn't be sure about the quality. I mean there is a huge gap between the Volksjäger and the recent F-84G they released(which I started last night. Oh damn! I better stop starting and start finnishing them). I would be greatful if you enlighten me:]
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 06:51 AM UTC
JollyRoger,

I don't have any pics to show right now but I can tell you a little about the Fw 190D, Fw 190A, and Bf 109G-10.

The Bf 109G-10 looks pretty good and even comes with two sets of the wings, one with the small wheel bulge and the other with the late war large wheel bulge. The worst problem I see is the forward fuselage it looks too skinny forward of the fuselage bulge.

The Fw 190s are okay but the Fw 190D-9 has the ailerons fabric effect way too deep while the Fw 190A-8 looks much better. The landing gear covers on the Fw 190D-9 have a strange looking grid pattern molded on the inside of them, while the same parts on the Fw 190A-8 do not have that feature. The large paddle blade wooden prop on the D-9 has the wrong shaped tips on them. Two styles of canopy are provided in the Fw 190D-9 kit but sadly only one type of head armor.
All the kits I have bought so far have little or no cockpit detail in them, but for what I intend to use them for that is good enough.

I of course have not built any of my Hobbyboss kits yet but have dry fitted a few parts and the ones I tried fit good so I don't expect any real trouble in building them.
A few that I have seen built up look pretty good but the canopy looks a bit off on some of them.

If I get time I might post some pics of the kits.

Matrixone
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 03:20 PM UTC
Thanks Les. It has been enlightening enough:}
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 08:08 PM UTC
Ok back to buisness. I decided to do one of thouse painted in a hurry naked metalic ones. Actually It is not a particular plane. It is not a "serious project" so I felt free to slightly bent to Luft'46 side so it is a "probable" plane. Ok So up to now I painted the outer surfaces and it looks something like this:

JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 11:18 PM UTC
At last done and out of my life. I don't even bother to weather it. To be honest I am fed up with the kit:} It looks like this at the moment.

PS: If you want nice little kit of He 162....naaah , not this one.
 _GOTOTOP