_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Kinetic Model F-16 release
eerie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
AeroScale: 106 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:16 AM UTC
Currently this model is not available in my country, i was wondering whether anybody else around the world had bought one, how is the quality and build compared to a Tamiya CJ?

Product highlights:
WAR HUD, AIM-120B and AIM-120C missiles, positionable slat/flaps,
GBU-38 bombs included.
450+ Parts
"Rich" Weapons List included:
AGM-9M, AIM-120B, AIM-120C,AGM-65, AGM-88, GBU-24, GBU-31, GBU-87,GBU-12,GBU-38,Mk.82,
ALQ-131, ALQ-184,
AAQ-13, AAQ-14,AAQ-28,Sniper XR

Product highlights:
MLU (Mid-Life-Update)/ADF upgrade parts, NSI (small mouth) intake, PW
engine nozzle. AGM-119 missiles and AAQ-28 Sniper Pod included.
450+ parts!
Weapons List included:
AGM-9M, AIM-120B, AGM-65, GBU-24, GBU-31, GBU97, Mk.82, ALQ-131, AAQ-13, AAQ-14,AAQ-28,Sniper
XR
jimbrae
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espańa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:27 AM UTC
The Kinetic range are being carried by Lucky Model and two more F-16s are being added shortly...

A lot of VERY good reports on them...
eerie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:34 AM UTC
Yes its gonna be release soon, i m pondering whether to get it instead of the Tamiya CJs. I weighing the cost after shipping it gonna hit near to a Tamiya kit. So I was hoping kinetic would have an edge over tamiya so i could find reasons to buy it
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 03:52 AM UTC
Not sure about the rest of the world. But these 2 particular kits aren't supposed to be out here in North America until April sometime. Then again, we are usually the last to get the new releases anyway!!
jhoog59
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 129 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 06:34 PM UTC
Considering how good thier F-86 is I can't wait to see this one.
Jim
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:11 AM UTC
Hi all!

Well, you get a lot of plastic in the box!

But when It comes to quality, I´m not too impressed by Kinetic.

The 1/48 F-84 Thunderjet is a "modernizied(?)" copy of the old Monogram kit.
Kinetic have done it with recessed detail, but it´s more like an old Matchbox!
Well, not quite THAT bad to be honest, but somewhat overdone panellines and a rough surface (some passes with a fine sanding paper will take care of that).

Kinetic´s F-86 Sabre in 1/32 is much better on the surface detailing, but is a scaled up copy of the Academy kit.
Not bad at all and good value for your money, even though the cockpit could do with some more details.

I have the Tamiya F-16 on my bench right now, and It´s a wonderful kit!
Everything goes together perfectly, just as we have come to expect from the big "T"!
You get a fair weapons selection in the Tamiya kit and also very good decals.
When it comes to fit, detail and easy of assembly, No one even comes close!

Based on this I´d choose Tamiya over Kinetic anytime regardless of the price.
If the price Is the same, Tamiya can´t be beaten (if you want a block50 CJ, that is).

Well, that´s my two cents on this matter!

Cheers!

Stefan E
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 03:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the Tamiya F-16 on my bench right now, and It´s a wonderful kit!
Everything goes together perfectly, just as we have come to expect from the big "T"!
You get a fair weapons selection in the Tamiya kit and also very good decals.
When it comes to fit, detail and easy of assembly, No one even comes close!

Yes but, you pay for that Tamiya quality. I agree that Tamiya kits are some of the easiest kits to put together. There are rarely any parts that don't literally fall together. Tamiya is the reason for the term "Shake & Bake Kit", or "Throw a bottle of glue in with the parts and shake, out pops a perfect kit everytime"

However you pay for that quality, and even though the Kinetic kits may not be up to the same standards as a Tamiya kit, it also doesn't have a Tamiya price tag on it.

I know going in by purchasing a Kinetic product that I am probably not going to get the same quality as a Tamiya kit, but I also am going to have $20 or so left over in my pocket at the end of the day that I can use to buy the paint I need to paint the kit!! Or maybe buy some other small kit.
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 06:42 AM UTC
Hi Scott!

Of course you are right, you have to pay for quality (as always),and with Tamiya you´ll know what you get.

But the question was (as I got it?) ; "which one to choose if both kits would cost you the same money"?

To THAT question there´s only one answer; Tamiya (for me anyway).

If Kinetic is considerable cheaper, then it could be an option as you will get a lot in the box, and they seems to be really good.

I have both the Academy and Italeri F-16 kits, even If I am really not a great fan of the Viper.
But I wanted a few in my collection as there are so many cool schemes.
When Tamiya released their kit I could not resist It, just because It had Tiger markings and It was a Tamiya.

Sometimes I prefer to pay a bit more, just to have to work less!

Please, don´t get me wrong here!
I often build short-runs too, and Airfix, and Monogram, and, and...!
Actually, I build more of these as I find them more rewarding, you have to work for the end result, and It gets as good as you make It!

But sometimes I want a "lazy" and non-frustrating build that goes together easily, just for the fun and relaxation, then Tamiya fits the bill perfectly!

Cheers!

Stefan E
eerie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 10:34 PM UTC
Thank you all for your contributions to this topic. I ve recently brought up a heads up topic in the my local forum. Words there have quoted a LHS which are taking pre orders for it. Heard its around the range of $30 SGD. I mean even if its gonna be $40SGD its still cheaper than the Tamiya CJ which retail here cheapest at $50SGD or so.
My mind if kind of made up with the Kinetic. Since its a new kit and have loads of stuff which i could interchange with my current Academy kit on the workbench, i m willing to part $30 of my money on it. If i go get the kit first before the rest of the world, rest assured i ll get it reviewed here for you guys.
PS: we dont call it Viper here, we call it the original name, Fighting Falcon
 _GOTOTOP