_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
F4U-1 in progress update
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 08:34 AM UTC
:-) Well after my whinning (see my Spitfire Mk I in progress) cos my compressor blew up and saying that I wouldn't post this in progress because I wouldn't now be able to finish it for the deadline of the group build. I have a temporary part solution and as I have been able to move on a little. I still don't think I will be able to get it finished, but I will have a darn good go. :-)
So here she is pre-shaded, this is what I was doing as my compressor went screaming and shouting to meet its maker. Looks pretty crappy but it dosen't matter, this doesn't need to be perfectly neat. I have an article on the way that explains what this is all about, so I won't bore you with it here. Questions/comments welcome :-)
these are just the main components but all parts, that will be painted in the camo colours recieved this treatment :-)

Mal
Bombshell
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 293 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 09:09 AM UTC
Looking good there Mal! One question: what are you using for primer? It looks very nice and fine.

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
Howitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 232 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 09:29 AM UTC
Just use spraypaint for the main paint.
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 11:30 AM UTC
looks great Mal.. I am getting ready to embark on a Cousair myself real soon and would love yo hear what the shading is all about. Am looking foward to the article you mentioned and will be viewing it with great interest when posted
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 09:38 PM UTC
:-) Bombshell

Quoted Text

what are you using for primer? It looks very nice and fine.

The primer is Halfords plastic primer, Halfords is a car accessory store in the UK. The primer comes in white or grey. Interestingly in my artical on my Bf 110G-2 Here I talk about the need to smooth the primer with wire wool. However for this Corsair and my Spitfire Mk I this wasn't necessary. I can only assume that I had'nt been shaking the can enough and therefore the paint wasn't mixed properly :-)

Howitzer

Quoted Text

Just use spraypaint for the main paint.

To achieve the effects I'm after, using spray paint is not an option. All will become clear, I hope when my artical on pre-shading is published.

Mal
SniperSoldier
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,638 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 10:46 PM UTC
GREAT MODEL HOLDFAST - CONGRATULATIONS
PLEASE MORE PICTURES.

ROBERTO
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 06:03 AM UTC
:-) Here's a couple more, Roberto

warlock,
These 2 pics will give you some idea of what the game is :-) you can see where I have let the pre-shading show through, my artical explains the whys and wherefores.
Mal
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 03:30 PM UTC
Ahhhhh yes Mal.It s becoming clearer. I will be going over your aricle with great interest and probably printing it. tihanks for posting it and sharing the Photos. Looking great so far can't wait to see more
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 11:03 PM UTC
:-) My artical on pre-shading is up take a look To pre-shade or not to pre-shade?
Mal
Bender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 05:22 AM UTC
wow another nice ac in the works, you sure know how to make it look easy

Bender
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 11:45 AM UTC
Thanks Mal. Not only did I take a look i printed it so I could over it with a fine tooh comb and have it on the bench as I work as not to forget anyhting.. I think the glue and thinner fumes are effecting my memory , but if I was going to go short on the memory I can't think of a better way to do it
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 04:26 PM UTC
Mal,

Again, great looking plane. You are one of the reason makes me embarking on this evil journey of the planes. You, Ladymodelbuilder, Marvick, twistedfate....damn you all!!!!! #:-)

I like the way you preshades, and combine with the fine article you just wrote, this will come handy for my next plane which will be an F14B Bomb Cat.

Great stuff....
badpony
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 05:22 PM UTC
very nice Corsair! Tamiya kit? That article on pre-shading is pretty interesting, I'm going to give it a shot on my P-47 Thunderbolt
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 06:42 PM UTC
:-) Bender

Quoted Text

you sure know how to make it look easy

I suppose after about 20 years it should come relatively easy, but it doesn't always. I'm quite pleased with this at the moment because of what I'm having to use to power my airbrush.

Guys, I'm pleased that you are giving pre-shading a go. I really would like some feedback, I'm fairly new to it and I still need to do a bit of tweaking of my technique. Any ideas or thoughts you have lets pool them. :-)
Mal
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 05:51 PM UTC
Mal I think you created a monster here.. I am now actually thinking about not limiting this technique to just aircraft. Some ships have panals too. the question I do have though is what nozzel or setting on the airbrush are you using to get the lines in the preshade??
Paul
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 07:31 AM UTC
:-) Paul

Quoted Text

the question I do have though is what nozzel or setting on the airbrush are you using to get the lines in the preshade??

Difficult to answer with any accuracy, I simply thin the paint more than normal and turn the pressure down. You don't need to be particularly neat, on this F4 the thinning of the paint and pressure were not optimised because my compressor was in it's death throws. so I just got on and sprayed the black as quickly as I could. My air brush is a Badger 200 single action and I use a medium nozzle. I can spray quite a tight pattern with it, under normal circumstances. The only real accuaracy you need is when spraying around raised detail, because you want to leave the highest spot untouched. If you don't manage it, don't worry. The first time you try this can be a bit worrying until you apply the colour coats and find that it's quite easy to cover the black. About the only thing you need to avoid is spatter, this will show up as little bumps under your colour coats. :-) Should work on ships, no problem at all. Because of the small scale though it might be best to aim just at shading around detail, to add depth :-) let us know how you get on.
Mal
 _GOTOTOP