Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/48 Spitfire Mk. IX
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 09:52 AM UTC
This is my newly finished Hasegawa 1/48 Spitfire Mk. IX. Although it is a good quality kit there are problems with the length of the fuselage being too short. To remedy this I replaced it with the Aeroclub fuselage. I also sanded down the spinner on the prop to shorten it a bit.

The kit was airbrushed with White Ensign Colourcoats enamels. The pilot figure is by ICM and I used Eduard Pre-painted seatbelts.

The squadron markings were from a left over set in my decal bank. The panel lines were given a wash of oil paint to bring them out a bit and the stencils and wing walkway lines are rub down transfers.

The fuselage D-day stripes are decals but to show them aged and weathered I used the approriate colour camo paint to break them up a bit.

I added oils leaks on the nose and fuel filler cap from dilute oil paint and the exhaust and gun stains are Mig powder, probably a bit on the dark side really.

Please post any and all criticisms, it's my first aircraft kit in ages and I know it will take a few goes to get a decent quality of build.

owlbeback
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 64 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:14 PM UTC
Martin, don't sell yourself short, it looks great. The pilot figure really adds to it. Excellent job!
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 04:38 AM UTC
I like it. There are Spitfires in my stash, calling me now.

Are you going to do something for the Battle for Europe Campaign? This would have been perfect for that.
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 06:48 AM UTC
Hi Anthony and Carl, thanks for the comments.

Carl I don't know if I will be doing anything for the campaign. I have decided to build all the kits in my stash before buying any more so I don't know if the will be anything appropriate.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 01:57 AM UTC
A great looking Spitfire Martin and I can't find anything to criticise. A little nit pick is all I can manage. The yellow wing leading edge recognitin aid was 6" inboard tapering to 2" towards the wing tip. Kit Decals always have these too wide and, even on a Spitfires thin wing, not much can be seen of it from above or below the wing. Told you it was a nit pick

How was the Aeroclub fuselage? and where did you get the rub down markings?

Mal
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 09:59 PM UTC
Hi Mal, sorry for the late reply, the rub down stencils were ordered from HLJ. They work well on a matt surface, not so good on a gloss one. When I brushed Future over them they stayed in place so no problems there.
Grifter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:55 PM UTC
Very nice, although I agree that the gun powder stains are too dark.
 _GOTOTOP