_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
ju88 c to a conversion.??
markvs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 70 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 10:24 AM UTC
I have the hobbycraft c nightfighter kit, and I wish to instead build it with the glass nose instead but I need to know what other changes might be involved, especially with the underwing racks??
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 03:07 PM UTC
The nose glass, cockpit glass, the gondola under the fuselage, and the bomb racks would be the primary differences, and maybe not even the cockpit glass depending on what model you are converting from and to.

The engines and engine nacelles are the same as most of the A and C models (some exceptions)

Is it 1/48th scale?

If so, I might be able to help you out. I am making an S version from the Dragon A-4 model, and so won't need the nose piece, the typical A model canopy, nor the gondola. I can't give up the racks though. ACtually, I*might be able to give up 2 of them since the S model had a lightened load, but I'd have to do some research first.

Not sure how well Dragon parts will fit a hobbycraft kit, but it's probably better than nothing....

you might think about just buying the Dragon Ju 88A-4 though. Lots of people whine about the kit, but in reality it is just fine with a few quirks. I've build 2 and have a couple more I will eventually get to.

markvs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 70 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 06:46 PM UTC
The kit actually came with the a type nose, that is why I assumed it would be an easy conversion.
Yes, the kit is 1/48,
At the time it was an offer too good to ignore, being about 1/4 or less of the Dragon kit. After saying that , I tend to feel that this kit should be on my list of the worst ever, on the basis of the quality of the moulding detail.
I have re-engraved the panel lines, first kit ever,
The few lines there are are rather ill defined, but in its favor there are relatively few, which reminds me of most real planes I have seen, where lines are all but invisible.
I was not sure of the engines in particular, especially the exhausts
The fit so far has been ok.
The kit is a ju88c nightfighter, which I want to backdate to an A version, of whatever subtype.
Next question, the kit includes racks for 2 underwing points, both inboard and outboard of the engines. Ideally I would leave both off to present a clean airframe.
What is the gondola difference? I had not counted on there being a difference.
Anyway, thanks so far and if you wish to assist further, then by all means elucidate ( I am required to use at least 1 big word per day??
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 09:53 AM UTC
sorry it took me a bit to get back to you.

good that you have the glass for the A type. fitting another brand's mold onto your would probably be a bugger.

The back of the C and A gondola are essentially the same (given there is a gunners position in th rear). the front of the A gondola features a bomb sight with a flat glass panel. The C has a cannon there, and it is more rounded off. Like I said, I'd be happy to pass on the gondola from my dragon kit I am converting if you don't have the right one in your kit already (if you have the A model glass, you might have that too!).

For the A, there should be two bomb rack between the engine and the fuselage, none outboard. The C should have none. Very rarely you can find a picture of an A model with no external bomb racks, but this is definitely the exception. Sometime there is only one rack for certain variants (like the torpedo version (that also has a torpedo electronics housing on the right side nose, and is often lacking the gondola).

As I said, the engines should be the same, as well as the cowlings. However, the A type was rarely fitted with exhaust flame dampeners (but occasionally it was) and the C often was (but not always).

Learning to scribe panel lines is a valuable modeling skill to have, and learning your conversion techniques on a kit that doesn't cost that much is actually an excellent way to learn: less fear = more daring = more skills gained.

_GOTOTOP