_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Roden heinkel 111b "Pedro" 1/72
wingnut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Westmeath, Ireland
KitMaker: 51 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 09:42 AM UTC
Hi All,
I started this kit this afternoon, and have to say I've never built such an ill fitting kit ever (apart from an Eastern European kit which was so badly moulded I never started it so that dont count ). I got it from fleabay, it was a "bargain", I think the previous owner took one look at it and put it on the bay with a rye smile and muttering "good riddence" Nearly every part has flash and a good few parts are mismoulded either missing a bit of plastic or having extra. When i started it I thought it wont be too bad . Got as far as trying to sandwhich the fusilage together to find that the 2 halves dont join by 5mm . I perservered with sanding and trimming for 4 hrs and eventually stopped and gave the kit a thorough going over and decided my limited time was better spent on something more rewarding.
Please tell me this is a rogue kit and not the norm for aircraft kits in general. I have the Revell J52 I was gonna tackle next but after this I feel like going back to AFV's and leaving the flying stuff to those with more patience and skill than me. Please tell me it don't get any worse than this
Thanks for Listening
David
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 11:26 AM UTC
It is definately a challenging kit to build for sure. Still, i plan to build it someday, it's not unbuildable- just time consuming and tedious i suppose. There is a build review on Modelling Madness, where the builder had similar problems to the ones you mentioned.

I know what you mean about whether it's worth wasting time on such kits. Mostly i don't, but once or twice a year i get this strange urge to give something a bit more challenging or just more complicated a try. For most of the time though i prefer something that can be done in 2 weeks to a month so.

You can build Tamiya aircraft kits and have few dramas, but you rarely get out of the ordinary subjects like the Pedro from the more mainstream companies.

As for Roden kits in general, the He111's are some of their more challenging kits as far as fit goes- though all Roden kits tend to be a bit more complicated than if the same subject was done maybe by another manufacturer- but there lies the point! Look through Rodens catalogue and you'll see most Roden subject choices tend to be ones unlikely to be done by another manufacturer. No one can accuse Roden of copying anyone else! That's why Roden are probably my favourite kit maker at the moment.

Andrew
 _GOTOTOP