_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/72 Spitfire Mk. Vc - best way to build it?
Cvrle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 104 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 05:10 PM UTC
As far as I know, this variant isn't kitted by any of the major or minor manufacturers, but I'd like to build it - what's the best way of going about it ? there's an conversion set by Pavla (wing) which they say is destined for the Revell kit (which is not liked, as far as I can see). Is this the only way, or is there another?

Thanks for the repliess!

Cheers,
Tvrtko
bluejt2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 05:54 AM UTC
Airfix currently have a Vc. It's the old Vb with a new sprue for the Vc wings, etc. Aside from the lack of detail and raised panel lines re. the old parts, the wing is too thick. Aeroclub do a relatively inexpensive replacement wing, though. It's possible to end up with a decent model with a little effort.

John
StenEk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 31 posts
AeroScale: 29 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 06:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Airfix currently have a Vc. It's the old Vb with a new sprue for the Vc wings, etc. Aside from the lack of detail and raised panel lines re. the old parts, the wing is too thick. Aeroclub do a relatively inexpensive replacement wing, though. It's possible to end up with a decent model with a little effort.

John

IIRC that is a 1/48 kit, but I might be wrong about that. Personally I would go with the old (but accurate) Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk. V and the resin C wings from Airwaves. Of cource there are virtually no cockpit details what so ever in that kit, but there are plenty of aftermarket detail sets to chose from to fix that.
bluejt2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 - 07:00 PM UTC
Airfix have released the Vc in both 1/48 and 1/72 scale. The resin Airwaves wings could be used, but the Aeroclub injection moulded ones are much cheaper, just as accurate and easier to work with - they directly replace the kit parts while surgery is needed with the former - which is why I didn't mention them. The only manufacturer to provide interior detail sets for the 1/72 kit is Airwaves, and these are not very good. Some modellers use the cockpit parts from the Italeri Vb and add sidewall detail from stretched sprue, etc. The latter kit also provides better wheels, oleo legs and undercarriage doors.

John
Cvrle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 104 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 09:51 PM UTC
So the equation would be: Airfix Vc + Aeroclub Wings + Italeri Vb (Detail parts) = decent Spitfire Vc?
 _GOTOTOP