_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Campaign/Group build idea - "Finish It!"
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 03:00 AM UTC
So I was looking at my backlog of half built kits last night and was somewhat bothered by a couple that had been started for campaigns that I never managed to finish. I started wondering if there are other people out there in the same boat.

Then I thought it would be cool to have a campaign to let those of us in this situation cash in on these half done projects that got away from us. Thus "Finish It!" was born into the light.

the concept/rules would be as follows:

1. Complete two or more unfinished models started for other campaigns. (basically you'd be trading in two "too late to get a ribbon" builds for one ribbon.

2. Your models must obey the rules of the campaign they were started for.

3. When you sign up, you must declare what you are going to finish and post pictures of the current state of those models.

4. Your excuses/reasons for not finishing the models for the other campaigns must be publicly stated for commiseration or ridicule.

5. All further work on the candidate models must cease until this campaign starts (hard to enforce I guess, given the nature of the campaign proposal, but it just sounds like a rule we aught to have).

The ribbon would look like a checkered flag I guess. I figure it would start in August or September and go for a standard 6 months (there are two builds, but they are already half built, right?)

If it turns out there are lots of people like me who want to finish old campaign builds that have been put on the back burner and would like some motivation to get those builds going again, then let's make it a campaign.

If there aren't as many as I suspect there are, then how about a long term group build? No ribbon, but a place where your build belongs even if it is too late for it's original home would be nice, no?

(but we all want a chance to catch a lost ribbon, don't we? )

What do you all think?

PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 03:14 AM UTC
I have one unfinished entry for the Guardian angel campaign, and one for Bombs away... I would love to get a good reason to finish them! Half finished? I don't think so...

I like nice and shiny ribbons, so I hope for it to be a campaign!

Cheers! // PolarBear
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 04:08 AM UTC
Now that you mention it, given the nature of the people that would be in this campaign, perhaps more than 6 months would be a fair idea?

I actually have 4 candidates:

1. Israeli Mosquito for for the "Suez Stripes" campaign.
2. B-25 for the "Show your Teeth" campaign.
3. F/A-18 for the "Air Support (OEF or OIF)" campaign.
4. Mig-21 for the "Duel in the Sky" campaign.

I am going to disqualify my first 2 though, since Polarbear and Jean-Luc gave me pity ribbons for those two because of my car wreck and broken hand. I think I'd still finish them for this campaign if it ever got approved though, so as to inspire others, lead by example, or some nonsense reason like that (and because I need to finish them).
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 04:16 AM UTC
Not wanting to dampen any fireworks guys, but this campaign is already running.
Its on the Model Geek page of the Kitmaker Network but covers all the sites.
Its called Get The Job Done
Finish date is June 1st
Nige
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 04:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not wanting to dampen any fireworks guys, but this campaign is already running.
Its on the Model Geek page of the Kitmaker Network but covers all the sites.
Its called Get The Job Done
Finish date is June 1st
Nige

doh!

dang it.

June first? no way.

hmmm... oh well.

Seems i need to look around the web site more rather than just staying in Aeroscale and Armorama.

well, at least it was a good enough idea to work, even if I didn't have it first.

vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 04:34 AM UTC
Ah, i see.

well, this one is a bit different really.

ok, ok, it is very similar but...

That one says:

Quoted Text

Get the job done

Operational Overview
I think we all are guilty in this. Half-finished models hidden in boxes, collecting dust, waiting to be worthy for our attention again. We left them, because we lost interest, lost parts, the kit proved to be too difficult, or too badly engineered... there are many reasons. Here's the chance to give them justice -and learn in the process.

The Rules and Regs
Any started kit, even unstarted ones if the reaction was "oh, boy, I hope I can sell this on EBay" upon opening the box. Use the forums to record and discuss the build, so we all can learn.

Contest Element
The more kits you finish, the better Tanks, ships, figures, aircraft, any model kits are fair game.

It is not restricted to models started for campaigns, you can build any type of model for it, and (worst of all) ... NO RIBBON! (!!!)

Hippie anarchist mayhem that is! More rules and a ribbon are clearly required.

I might still try to drum up support here. Besides, this would start after that one finishes. we'll need more excuses to finish these old builds by then.

It's all about the motivation.

{Vanize wanders off to ponder if he saw that campaign some weeks ago, forgot about it, and let it subconsciously work its way back to the surface. Alas, what is the nature of memory, and why is it so ephemeral in some ways yet lasting in others?}
WingTzun
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 853 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 05:21 AM UTC
It sounds like a great idea to me Vance. I have 2 started kits but the only trouble is, the way this year is looking for me, I wouldn't be able to finish it for the "Finish It" Good luck to all who can.
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 01:05 PM UTC
Your idea is quite different, Vanize, and in my opinion a lot better!

Now that you mention it, I have yet to finish the Israeli F-15C Baz to match your Mig-21 in the Duel campaing. Wow, this is really giving me a bad concience...

Cheers! // PolarBear
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 03:51 PM UTC
CaptainA suggested this as a "2nd Chance" campaign last summer.
I think that logistically there would be problems with the old campaigns, as Tedmamere pointed out in the thread.

Quoted Text

Quoted Text
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Idea for a new campaign. What if you could go and choose any campaign that has been completed, and still enter it? You would need to follow the rules for that campaign, and would receive the award for that campaign. This is a chance to bring back the best of the previous campaigns, complete a campaign you werenot able to finish in time, or enter a campaign that was over before you discovered the site.

Discussion and comments are welcome as this is just an idea I am throwing out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Carl!

If I have nothing against the idea, I wouldn't want to be the Campaign Leader of such a Group Build because it would be very difficult to manage. Awarding the ribbons would prove very difficult too since all the closed Campaigns would need to be reopened and the Campaign Leaders for each modified. Some of the latter are probably not visiting the site anymore...
Frankly I would prefer new Campaign proposals rather than reactivating old ones. But that's my personal opinion. If more than ten Aeroscale members want to participate to such a Campaign, maybe we could accept your proposal... but don't forget to "officialy" submit the idea vie the Campaign link above!

Jean-Luc

Nige
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 05:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It is not restricted to models started for campaigns, you can build any type of model for it, and (worst of all) ... NO RIBBON! (!!!)

I am quite sure there will be a ribbon for this campaign, but I am not perfectly sure.
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 05:46 PM UTC
Lampie - The objections by Jean-Luc made to Captain A's suggestion would not apply to Vanize's idea, as I construe it. It would be the task of each participant to remember and apply the rules of the old campaign. Further, there should be a new ribbon (the checkered flag) - not the old ones - handed out to those that finish.

Cheers! // PolarBear

Vaize - I would love to pick up our duel over the Bekaa Valley this fall, no matter if your campaign idea is accepted or not.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 08:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Lampie - The objections by Jean-Luc made to Captain A's suggestion would not apply to Vanize's idea, as I construe it. It would be the task of each participant to remember and apply the rules of the old campaign. Further, there should be a new ribbon (the checkered flag) - not the old ones - handed out to those that finish.

Cheers! // PolarBear

Vaize - I would love to pick up our duel over the Bekaa Valley this fall, no matter if your campaign idea is accepted or not.

In that case wouldnt it be the same as the campaign already in progress?
Nige
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers! // PolarBear

In that case wouldnt it be the same as the campaign already in progress?
Nige

Similar certainly, and it sounds like the origins are even more similar.

maybe we just need a campaign like this once a year or so...

Polarbear: I am re-throwing down the gauntlet! The duel is back on! Let's start our own thread, set the terms (first to finish "shoots down" the other? - granted that could take a while), and do it!
Blackwulf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 215 posts
AeroScale: 120 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 11:03 PM UTC
If this should fly--I think you should reduce it to one model since you cant assume all models are halfway done. I think you would get more to join if it were only one model
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 11:37 PM UTC
Vanize: Ok! As long as we do not start until the fall (September 1st?). Also, I hope it is ok that I've decided to go 1/72. In return, I promise to superdetail my F-15C.

Hmmm, I just got a new idea for a campaign, Hel HaAvir (Israeli airforce) 60 years.... Just a thought...

Cheers! // PolarBear
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 01:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Vanize: Ok! As long as we do not start until the fall (September 1st?). Also, I hope it is ok that I've decided to go 1/72. In return, I promise to superdetail my F-15C.

Hmmm, I just got a new idea for a campaign, Hel HaAvir (Israeli airforce) 60 years.... Just a thought...
Cheers! // PolarBear

I'm cool on both accounts regarding the duel build. September 1st is my birthday, so you'll get a one day head start....

I'd stand behind an Israeli airforce campaign! I have an Avia 199 just waiting for such an eventuality.

I have a close friend whose grandfather flew the "Mule" for Israel back in those desperate early days (all of the men on her dad's side have fought for Isreal at one time or another). unfortunately she does not speak with him so I can't really either. It seems there was some sort of family rift because that part of the family was far too "Zionist" for her (and she is far too "liberal minded" for them to abide with as well - heck, she dates guys who aren't jewish for crying out loud!). It'd be cool to chat with him about his experiences, but oh well. She's great though, so i put up with it when she grimaces at my Israeli models on the shelf (and sometimes they prompt her to convey some of her relevant family history, which is always interesting if more than a little crazy!).

Israel makes for strange politics, but also for darned fine modeling subjects!
CombatKrieg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 517 posts
AeroScale: 62 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 04:42 AM UTC
Hmm i guess it's purely for Airplanes? Dang i've got an unfinished bradley...
 _GOTOTOP