_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Airfix Supermarine S6B
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 08:06 PM UTC
My latest finished project.
This is the old 1:72 Airfix Supermarine S6B. A quick fun OOB build for the "Between The Wars" campaign.
The rigging is brass rod. I was initially going to paint the rigging, but after seeing how it was starting to look as I dry fitted it, I decided to leave the brass as it is.
Totally wrong from a rivet counters point of view of course, but I think it gives the model an almost Art Deco feel, certainly in keeping with the spirit of the campaign.
Start to finish just over a week, probably my quickest build ever, and lots of fun!

Nige
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 03:52 AM UTC
Nigel a really fine build. There is something about it that says "Remember me?" Quite in keeping with the "Golden Era" of Aviation. Tell us about your work on this kit. What did you do to take an old kit and give it a face lift?
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 02:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nigel a really fine build. There is something about it that says "Remember me?" Quite in keeping with the "Golden Era" of Aviation. Tell us about your work on this kit. What did you do to take an old kit and give it a face lift?

Thanks Stephen.
Its just an OOB build, and went together very nicely. No fit issues at all to be honest.
I replaced the cross members between the floats with slightly thicker brass rod than I used for everything else. Most of the locating holes were already present in the mould, so it was just a matter of steadily trimming the brass rod until it fitted snugly without trying to pull the parts out of position.
Lots of fun and a stress free build from start to finish.
Nige
Tarok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 05:14 PM UTC
Hey Nige,

Nice build, but.... what's happened to the canopy and cockpit areas? She seems to be missing them...

Rudi
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 06:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Nige,

Nice build, but.... what's happened to the canopy and cockpit areas? She seems to be missing them...

Rudi

Rudi.
Well spotted.
All you get in the kit is a tiny rectangle of clear plastic thats supposed to be the canopy cover,,Im trying to scratchbuild something a bit better but not overly bothered if I dont succeed.
Theres times when it can go past the fun stage and my attention has now been taken up with a certain "spotty" B17.
Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 02:58 AM UTC
Ive managed to sand down a piece of clear sprue to replace the kit part and fitted it tonight. Im not going to bother with the supplied "pilot".

Nige
 _GOTOTOP