_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Hobby Boss FJ-4 Fury
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 09:00 AM UTC
I noticed in the reveiw for this kit that someone asked if anyone, was building it. I got one a few weeks ago and had every intension of saving it until decals for VF-61 Jolly Rogers could be peiced to gether from various other sources. However, Its a nice day for modeling why not just go ahead and build it!!!! So here we go.

Step 1. This is the cockpit assembly. I had some doubts about some of the colour callouts here. I ended up at [http://www.migfuryfighters.com/news.php]Mig Fury Fighters] looking at their restored and flying FJ4. It kind of matched the instructions so i went with them. for the most part. I Painted out the parts and put it together.

Nuetral Grey was used for the base colour for the major portions of ther cockpit. and rear canopy frame.

The ejection seat has 4 parts and is simple seat belts are not included. Tamiya masking tape cut in to 4 and trimed to fit the varios places the were needed.

The cockpit tub sits atop the intake.

On to Step 2. This involves combining the fuselage. First thing I did was tape the fuselage together and see if this was going to be a tailsitter and would need weight.

Sure enough this was a tail sitter. The Fury sat back on the rear wheels and had nice long nose wheel strut, that tilts the Fuselage back at a angle. I figured I'd add alot of weight to the nose of this one. The instruction make no indication of needing to add anything to the nose, but I'll be adding some split shot.

With the cockpit fit in the fuselage half with he intake and nose wheel well there is not alot of room.

the shot added.

Fuselage is sealed together and held with Berna Clamps. I like them they a gentle pressure clamp and hold parts firmly with Damaging the plastic.

I went ahead finished off the cockpit. this is the last shot of it for awhile.

there is a small gap behind the cockpit tub a little dab of putty filled the seem.

Step 3 and 4 deal with finishing off the fuselage and the wings the last thing I did was dry fit the lower wing to the fuselage

We may need some filler at the rear of the fuselage.

We'll see tomorrow when I go back to the workbench. Thanks for looking. and Comments are welcome. Steve
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 08:27 AM UTC
I took a day off today. I'll get to the wings tomorrow. I do feel hat I need to point out that the fine detail on the instrument panel disapears under even a light coat of paint. I'd recommend a Photo-etch set to improve this aspect of the kit. Where the old Grand Pheonix was better in the coskpit the fit is much better. I hope for the next one I'll find something to improve the cockpit. My only complaint so far. Steve
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 07:43 PM UTC
Looks good, Steve. I got a little tempted by this kit when I first read the review here on Aeroscale due to the colourful markings. Nice to see how it actually builds up.

Looking forward to see more
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 08:29 AM UTC
HI Jesper, Thanks for the comment., I

Sorry for the delay guys, I took a few days off to pla with some tanks and tried to post some stuff yesterday, but the site was down in the morning. But here we go again. In the reveiw I got a tip that the wings had nice little gap. So I started with some old modeling advice. Dry fit twice, then glue once. i added the main wheel well. i fit tightly in the raised well provided and stayed in place without any issues.

For my experience with this kit, I havn't had to many problems, The wing root is a problem for most kits. Even the guys Acadmiyagawa have issues here. After a dry fit both sides had a gap, but a good trick is in mind. this only works with aircraft where the wingroot is on the top or bottom of the fuselage. I first did some cutting the lower wig got the locating pins snipped. this allow the upper halfes to slide in with no issues. Next to gowas the inner edge of the upper wing halfes.

The port wing goes right in with the shaved inboard edge

The inner edge was shaved off the starboard wing as well. but this didn't help the gap. the engineer designing the wings made a flat plug that hangs down at the tip of the wing. I didn't want to have modify the wing any further. I left this plug wher it was and moved on to the next trick. I simply add a roll of squadron white putty to the upper wing and squish the putty into the fuselage. The putty is then thinned with liquid cement, and shaved to shape witha sharp blade.

After the putty dried the next day i just go ahead and clean it up with a sanding stick.

Thats it for now. I'm tring to decide if I should do the landing gear or or use the optional plug for the raied arrester hook. I'm leaning towards building it in the down position. which means the fragile landing would need to attached. Oh well such is the fun of building carrier based aircraft. Hope y'all are enjoying the buld thanks for look and feel free to comment. Steve
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 02:05 AM UTC
Ok so here we go with a quick update.

The tail is assembled. The exhaust is actualy 3 parts, and can be easily painted after the final colors are applied.

I then attached all the pylons and the Refueling probe. No it's time for the white!!!

I went ahead and st everything aside for a few days to dry. I began this morning masking for my first coat of grey then to my horror. the paint started sticking to the tape.

how bad is it????

This gonna be a head ache!!! This is also my first time using MM Acryl paints. Maybe I should just switch back to good old enamels. I don't know. Comments are welcome. Steve
 _GOTOTOP