_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Floating Harrier?
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 07:00 PM UTC
I want to make my Harrier float in the air by its vertical take off. Question is, how could I do that without visible wires to make it look more real. I know models don't fly but I want to make it as if it were ascending.
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 10:24 PM UTC
That sounds like a great idea, and I see the dilema. I have seen one Harrier built the way you are asking at a local hobby shop on display.
What he did was used rods going up to the jet nozzles and covered them with cotton and painted them like it was exhaust.
The problem with that is Harriers don't smoke when the hover the exhaust is clear. It looked ok but the smoke threw the effect off a little.
What you could try is running an L shaped bracket or rod down the centerline of the Bird letting the gunpod and ordnance hide it and stick the long end in the base. then surround the long piece with whatever trees,saddunes or whatever terrain there would be around it.
Harriers usually don't use strict verticle takoffs unless they are on auxillary landing fields or at Foward refueling points.
Plus using the rod will give the option of angling the the nose of the Harrier to give the aceeleration of assent. From 0 degrees of a straight hover to about 45 degrees a full power "POP" as we used to call it.
Hope this gives you and idea and hope you come up with something. Cause I would love to see this when it was done
Paul
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 12:28 AM UTC
Here's an off the wall idea that may spark some inspiration.
Take a clear plexiglass/plastic tube the size of the nozzles. Attach them to the nozzles and use them as the stand. Here's the catch - Harriers don't have smoke exhaust persay but they do kick up a bunch of dust. And the heat makes the air 'shimmer' like a mirage.
So - paint (AB) the tubes in a buff or dull coat texture so they distort the light going through them. The size will mimic the nozzle thrust.

It's a thought - hope it helps.

Either that or small thin plastic rods connecting to each wheel.
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 01:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Take a clear plexiglass/plastic tube the size of the nozzles. Attach them to the nozzles and use them as the stand. Here's the catch - Harriers don't have smoke exhaust persay but they do kick up a bunch of dust. And the heat makes the air 'shimmer' like a mirage.
So - paint (AB) the tubes in a buff or dull coat texture so they distort the light going through them. The size will mimic the nozzle thrust.

That may be proved useful but a simple sketch would help me. Pictures would be better
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 01:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That sounds like a great idea, and I see the dilema. I have seen one Harrier built the way you are asking at a local hobby shop on display.
What he did was used rods going up to the jet nozzles and covered them with cotton and painted them like it was exhaust.
The problem with that is Harriers don't smoke when the hover the exhaust is clear. It looked ok but the smoke threw the effect off a little.
What you could try is running an L shaped bracket or rod down the centerline of the Bird letting the gunpod and ordnance hide it and stick the long end in the base. then surround the long piece with whatever trees,saddunes or whatever terrain there would be around it.
Harriers usually don't use strict verticle takoffs unless they are on auxillary landing fields or at Foward refueling points.
Plus using the rod will give the option of angling the the nose of the Harrier to give the aceeleration of assent. From 0 degrees of a straight hover to about 45 degrees a full power "POP" as we used to call it.
Hope this gives you and idea and hope you come up with something. Cause I would love to see this when it was done
Paul

Hmmm.. could be useful but you see, what I'm doing is the Harrier having a vertical takeoff on a runway (Pretty hard to do it). Pictures and/or sketch of your idea could be quite useful. Thanks for the help
USMC0321
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 01:31 AM UTC
go with slodder's idea

USMC0321
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 02:11 AM UTC
Found this for ya hope it helps and Slodder may be right about this one if going off a runway but here is one at an auxilary field..
Hope this helps
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/harrier4.jpg
Also hope the link or image comes out
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 05:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thin plastic rods? Hmmm...... How about glue gun sticks? Yknow, the one which you put in the glue gun. I need something that can lift the weight of the Harrier. It's a 1/48 scale and I think plastic rods might bend or whatsoever.

Paints? Do you think smoke (paint) can do the trick? What other paints can you refer to me to color that tube?
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 02:05 AM UTC
At the IPMS Stockholm Open held a few weeks ago there was a model suspended in air by magnets!! The guy had to tie down so it wasn't thrown off the magnetic field. This might be hard to do with what you are doing in 1/48, because of the weight...

Thought it was a neat idea!!
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 02:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Darn, I was thinking the same thing. I'd probably leave them clear, however.
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 05:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

At the IPMS Stockholm Open held a few weeks ago there was a model suspended in air by magnets!! The guy had to tie down so it wasn't thrown off the magnetic field. This might be hard to do with what you are doing in 1/48, because of the weight...

Thought it was a neat idea!!

Pictures would be great. I you had one, why not show it to me?
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2003 - 10:06 AM UTC
I haven't been able to find any pics of it!! Sorry. I didn't have a camera with me either...
 _GOTOTOP