_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
F4U-1 update (new pictures)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 09:25 PM UTC
:-) Although it's a bit traumatic spraying with my current "Heath Robinson" set up I'm getting along :-) I have use White Tack, Tamiya tape and Scotch removable tape for masking.

Masking off, quite pleased with the results. In my opinion mastering masking is one of the keys to a succesful model.

Slight miscalculation with the dermarcation here, you can see a little of the pre-shading glearing out. No problem though, this will be sorted later :-)

Next stage will be to lighten the fabric areas (on my Hs 123 I did this first, but to light, so I went over them with a thinned down full colour, on the low spots. It came out pretty well, so I decided it would be less time consuming fading in a similar way, but this time with a light colour on the high spots?)
Comments please :-)
Mal
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 10:34 PM UTC
Looking good, but I think you missed a bit of filler on the nose radome, heh heh. :-) Seeing the masking reminds me of pictures of US aircraft onboard ferry carriers in transit to europe covered with protective tarps. Seems like the perfect project for me as my painting sucks.
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 12:28 AM UTC
Mal, (and all others who post "in progress" pictures), you do all newbies and "amateurs" like myself a tremendous service with your postings. With every project shown it seems I learn a new technique, or see what I'm doing wrong with an old one. I think your Corsair is looking great, and now that I have a better understanding of masking, my next "wingie thing" will, too. Many thanks for helping me become a better modeler.

Mike

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 01:43 AM UTC
:-) bdUK

Quoted Text

Looking good, but I think you missed a bit of filler on the nose radome, heh heh.

Thanks for spotting that

Mike

Quoted Text

With every project shown it seems I learn a new technique, or see what I'm doing wrong with an old one.

It's nice to know that it's worthwhile, one of the reasons I post in progress pics is because I know how difficult it can be to learn all on your own. When I started there were no computers let alone the internet I was going to do an article on masking canopies it might be an idea to include general masking aswell? These pics don't show the flaps, I didn't mask them I simply shot the paint at such an angle that they became their own masks. This is the third time I've used White Tack (see my Dewoitine D520 in the gallery) and I really like it. :-)
Mal
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 04:07 AM UTC
Looking good Mal !
Yes, your in-progress shots are realy great to us !

I'm surprised at how light this paint-schem is ! Was it one used in the atlantic ?
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 04:15 AM UTC
Nice Mal. I used a very similiar method to paint the tri-color scheme of my corsair.
USMC0321
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 04:30 AM UTC
Looking very nice. I love the Tamiya Corsair. Working on one right now.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 05:09 AM UTC
:-) Bryan

Quoted Text

Nice Mal. I used a very similiar method to paint the tri-color scheme of my corsair.

I first used this method when my airbrush was playing up, I was so impressed with the results that I'm using it rather than free hand spraying :-) The finer you roll the Blue/White Tack the more intricate you can make the camo divission :-)

:-) USMC0321

Quoted Text

I love the Tamiya Corsair. Working on one right now.

yes it's a beautiful model, I also have the 1D, must get another of these so I can do the 1A , probably get more than one :-)
Mal
 _GOTOTOP