_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Hasegawa 1/48 Airacobra Mk.I
Reiter960
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:11 AM UTC
Hello Aeroscale. Here is my quick build of this fine Hasegawa kit. I built it for one of my classes when professor told the class that having a replica of an airplane would help during exam. Turns out it was only an aide to visualize axial coordinate system questions, what a rip. This is my second plane model in 48th and due to strict time limits I decided not to use any aftermarket. Though, I did add some minor scratchbuit detail inot already quite busy looking cockpit such as belts and buckles to pilot's seat, gear down indicator, jam pulls for 50 cal MGs and some minor plumbing. hydrolycs were also added to the gear. All together, it took only 4 days to complete this particular kit. Hope you like it.
Cheers

Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:45 PM UTC
You built this in just 4 days?
Looks awesome!

That's an interesting method for replicating chipped paint, isn't it quite a chore to paint the entire airframe silver, only to do slight chipping at the wing roots? Of course using masking fluid will surely make more realistic and random-looking chips than painting them on.
Btw, how was the fit of the cockpit doors? Judging from them being open, not perfect?
I've built one Eduard kit and it wasn't precise in it either.

Those British marking make that Cobra stand out of the crowd, looking almost weird, as the majority of models I've seen depict US or Russian-operated aircraft.
A bit like Brewsters in US markings.
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 08:02 AM UTC
I too can't believe you did that in 4 days. I've done a model in a week, but it had no interior, and I didn't really wait for drying time! It looks gorgous though.

I wish I had a class where they even mentioned models or replicas, considering I'm an engineering student at "Wright" State, yes, as in the Wright brothers.....( we don't even have an aeronautical engineering program here, and that's just silly)
 _GOTOTOP