_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Promodeller Wash
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 09:12 AM UTC
I've just tried a product called Promodeller Dark Weathering Wash . I only learnt of its existence a week or so ago and having used it for the first time todayI have to say it is fantastic. It is a water based wash and can be used for panel lines and also to add general grime to a model. If you've never used it I can reccommend it as it is so much easier than an oil wash. Here's my first attempt which took a couple of minutes to add the wash, ten minutes or so to let it dry and another five minutes or so to rub it off leaving the panel lines done and a bit of "dirt" to show a used aircraft.

CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 09:29 AM UTC
Martin that looks fantastic. I couldn't resist going over to the ProModeler site to check it out further. For those interested http://www.promodeller.com/buy-the-wash/
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 09:33 AM UTC
Hi Chuck,

What strikes me about the wash is how good a result it gives with minimum work. I have used oil washes for quite a while now but never got the panel lines so crisp as I did with this product. There is also a step by step guide on the Promodeller web site. I cannot believe I had missed out for so long on this stuff!
http://www.promodeller.com/promodellers-weathering-wash/
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 10:37 AM UTC
Hi Martin!

Did you use the wash over a matt finish or over a glossy finish?

Jean-Luc
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 08:31 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc,

I used it over a thin coat of Future, not quite glossy but nice and smooth. The wash is easier to remove over a glossy finish but a over a semi gloss finish it leaves a grimy look. Obviously the more you rub it with some slightly moist kitchen roll the more you can remove. It does allow more control than oils which I have found can be too easily removed from panel lines by mistake.

Here's a pic of how it looks on darker colours, I did find the wash looked a bit light when I first applied it but it darkened nicely under a coat of matt varnish.

PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 10:32 PM UTC
I ordered the wash just the other week, and I can't wait to use it on my Gripen! I've had big troubles so far trying to acheive crisp panellines in 1/72 with oilbased washes, so any method that can be easier is most welcome.

Cheers! // PolarBear
 _GOTOTOP