_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WWI German Vehicles and Pilots 1/72
damoore46
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 107 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 09:59 AM UTC
Hi gang. I am contemplating adding something more to a WWI aircraft scene than just the ground clutter, fencing, etc. Does anyone make 1/72 scale vehicles for this period? What about pilots and ground support personnel? Bicycles, carts, etc.?

Thanks,
DC
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 09:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi gang. I am contemplating adding something more to a WWI aircraft scene than just the ground clutter, fencing, etc. Does anyone make 1/72 scale vehicles for this period? What about pilots and ground support personnel? Bicycles, carts, etc.?
Thanks,
DC

Greetings DC;

There is a series of vehicles called "Highway Miniatures" that has items from the 1900's in HO (1/87) scale. Sadly not much else. Figures can be modified from the 1/72 Preiser German WWII sets in 1/72. Many moons ago there was a company called New Hope Design the had some white metal figures from the Osprey men at arms series. Specifically books by Alex Revell and Alex Imrie on the British and German aviation units respectively.
jellytwig
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 01:52 PM UTC
Hi there,
Try Retrokit for a variety of WW1 period vehicles. Ground personnel can be found from a variety of sources, especially if you look for figures in shirt sleeves. Try Plastic Model Review for illustrated info. on just about any 1/72 figure ever produced ( have a large pot of coffee ready, you'll be there for a while !) You should find that some of the Revell and Imex soft plastic figures come in very handy. I've used figures from a Confederate engineer set by Revell to good effect. I think I also recruited some Imex pilgrims, despite their religious objections, (well, there was a war on !)
I think it's Dark Dream Studios who produce a set of WW1 pilots and groundcrew. Some are a bit on the chunky side but look well painted. The pilot climbing into his a/c is particularly good. Look out for tank maintenance or railroad crews produced in resin or white metal by several manufacturers, overalls and boiler suits are universal attire for most grease monkeys.
I hope this helps in your search,
Regards to all,
jellytwig.
 _GOTOTOP