_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Swiss Bf109D "For Export" group build
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 05:55 PM UTC
Here are some build notes and pics of my completed 1/48 scale Classic Airframes Bf109D. Overall the quality and accuracy of the kit is excellent, the only problem being that they are now so hard to get hold of. This is the only one of the CA Bf109's i've ever seen on a hobby store shelf in Australia, so i bought it without delay!

It was my first real limited run kit using resin parts, well OK i did a Special Hobby Phoenix D1 but that only had resin exhaust stacks so doesn't really count. I have built full resin and white metal F1 cars from S-27 and Model Factory Hiro though, so i have worked with resin before.

Most of the cockpit is resin and is well detailed. No modification was done to the fuselage sides to make anything fit. Only the instrument panel gave me trouble and had to be sanded/filed to fit better.

The wheel well inserts are resin and had to be thinned until they were translucent AND the wing interior also had to be sanded down to almost the same extent. I could not get the wing halves to join well until i worked out the problem area was the excess plastic just outboard of the resin inserts on the leading edges of the upper wing halves. Once i ground down that area things fell together nicely.

I also had to grind down part of the wing spar as it was interfering witht the cockpit floor. With hindsight i now know that i should have thinned the cockpit floor more- but then again the spar was probaly easier anyway!

The wing to body join was very good with just a little bit of help. I really like way that CA delt with the front join by tucking into the radiator faring that then gets covered over- good engineering i think.

I messed up! I cut too much off one side of the resin nose by mistake. The left side was quite thin near the casting block and i made a mistake cutting it, the result was a big ugly gap on the left side. Luckily no engraved detail was removed. So i needed some super glue with accelerator followed by some Tamiya filler and finally finishing with Mr Surfacer 1000 (excellent stuff that i just used for the first time ever).

Looks ugly here.

But primered ok in the end.

Stripes on and masked. I need practice with stripes because of my choice of subjects for the upcoming Aces High Campaign.

Unsersides

Top camo

Gloss and decals on. The decals are outstanding kit decals made by Microscale. And choices of subjest are good too- 2 famous Spanish Civil War machines of Handrick and Moelders, 2 different Swiss AC and a nice Hungarian AC. I wanted to do all of them really but decided on the most colouful option for that stripes practice. Note the excellent opacity of the white decals- i really expected trouble putting those over red.

And the end results below. The Classic Airframes Bf109's are superb kits, only being a bit expensive and hard to get where i am. Ideal for a first multi media attempt. I just hope they re-activate the moulds and get some more of them out there on shelves. The only build trouble i had with the nose was my own doing and just needs more care. The only other problem i found was with the canopy. Firstly the frames are a bit subtle whcih made masking much harder than usual. But also the centre section is too long and can't fit in the closed position. Not even close in fact. If you sanded it down both ends to get it too fit you will not have frame detail left. Checking against drawings seems to show that the clear part id OK- it's the actually cockpit that is slightly too short! A hard thing to fix. Just display it open which covers up the problem, or makes it not noticeable anyway.

Andrew

drizzt73
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 158 posts
AeroScale: 70 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 06:02 PM UTC
awesome work there Andrew. An interesting choice of subject. What Brand of paints are you using?
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 06:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

awesome work there Andrew. An interesting choice of subject. What Brand of paints are you using?

Thanks Anthony, i used Gunze and Tamiya acrylics- pretty much the only brand of acrylics i've ever worked out how to use if you want the honest truth! Primer is Tamiya spray can primer (white on this occasion). I simply used the white primer as the stripes as well- why paint white a second time?

Andrew
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 08:22 PM UTC
Andrew,

What a great build! It really is a pretty plane and thanks for doing a bit of a build log. The only resin I've worked with are wheels so it is good to see what you did with a mixed media kit.

-Derek
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 12:56 AM UTC
well done Andrew.

I have this kit in the "A" version (building it out to the V4 machine).

I started it ages ago (I even did the review for it on this site), but I still haven't quite gotten it the the painting stage yet. You build makes me think I should dust it off and get going on it again.
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 06:26 AM UTC
Excellent build and unusual subject. The model looks awesome in its Swiss colour scheme.

I've actaully planned a painting of a Swiss 109, but that's another story..........
mpatman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 160 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 04:26 PM UTC
G'day Andrew,

Nice bild and i love the paintwork. How do you rate the kit overall? Where did you manage to pick it up?

Cheers,

Mark
WingTzun
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 853 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 04:41 PM UTC
Nice build and build log. Interesting subject. I love your paint job. Classic Airframes does seem to have some nice kits.
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 06:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

G'day Andrew,

Nice bild and i love the paintwork. How do you rate the kit overall? Where did you manage to pick it up?

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark, as a percentage overall i'd rate the kit 90%, but then i like the subject and could be biased. Compared to the Hobby Craft/Academy early 109's these CA kits are much better and actually seem to have an accurate nose shape. The only advantage to the Academy kits are their price (you can buy 4 of them for the price i paid for the CA kit!). Compared to say the Hasegawa/Tamiya Bf109E's the CA kits have better cockpit detail because of that nice resin, but that also makes it slightly less convenient to build as well- i don't enjoy cutting off resin mould stubs i can tell you. And CA's decals are better quality than the Japanese for sure- though looking at real life pics i can now see that the kits Swiss insignia are undersized, something i didn't notice during the build....

I found my kit in one of the 3 Melbourne CBD hobby stores (the one whose name i never remember), the one behind the Myer store. It's the only one i've ever seen in Australia and i paid the price- A$85 or in other words A$20 more than i can buy an Eduard Bf110E just to put it in context. But i'll be getting more if i find them, or at least an Academy kit to use up the Hungarian markings.

And thanks for the posative comments everyone.

Andrew
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 07:10 PM UTC
Andrew
How cool,I love it
Cheers
Chris
buggalugs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 135 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 11:52 PM UTC
Andrew

I agree with everyone else - looks fantastic. I also like your idea of using the white primer for the white stripes...I have this kit and the CA 109A in my stash - like you I have never seen one on the shelves here in Australia (Canberra and Brisbane are my main areas of hobby shop lurking) - I would have snapped it up if I had. I got both of mine via mail order from the States.....I also have a couple of sets of the Cutting Edge Swiss 109s decals - mmm, must dust them off I think...Cheers Brad
 _GOTOTOP