_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
naff modelling
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
AeroScale: 369 posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2008 - 01:09 AM UTC
i have been modelling for 7-10 years, im 18 now, i just cant believe how everybody can get there planes and tanks to look so good when mine still look like they fell out of my backside! i take advice , wash ,dry brush etc but they are still rubbish . can someone please help.
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2008 - 01:37 AM UTC
Jimmy

Post some piccies and you will get constructive critism.

Andy
HawkeyeV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
AeroScale: 129 posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2008 - 01:52 AM UTC
Concentrate on the basics first. Do not worry about washes, after market, painting or anything other than getting the basic construction principles correct. Build a model without any fillers or paint to cover it with. Start with a good kit, such as a Tamiya P-47. It offers good fit and finish straight from the box, so you shouldn't have any problems getting a solid clean build. But if you don't, then you need to look at your errors and understand why they happened. Then you can tackle a lesser quality kit, applying what you've learned but also using more of the fit to finish process to achieve the same level of a build as you experienced with the Tamiya kit.

Here is a naked Jug I built to test my mettle:

Many modelers are under the misconception that if you add more you'll get better results, well that's not true if you don't have the core techniques mastered. I have seen many a model packed full of after market accessories, only to still see the seams and obvious gaps in places they shouldn't be.

Sometimes looking at a model with the naked eye misses flaws, the camera however always catches them...take pictures of your work...review them and correct the error before you proceed further.

I attended a show where a gentleman walked in with a 1:48 B-29 that was simply the grossest reputation that I've seen since I built one much the same way as a kid forty years ago. Once he set his model on the table he almost tried to remove it as fast. But other modelers came to his side and discussed how to improve, not criticize. His first admission was he didn't have contact with other modelers except through reading magazines. He was immediately invited to attend an area club.

That too is an excellent method to improve your finished model...guided by others whom you respect as modelers. It is what helped me the most and I feel an obligation to return the deed by helping others who are where I was...and I'm still learning!
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2008 - 02:02 AM UTC
i shall give it a go. i recently bought a 1/48 hercules that i have yet to start. i have the patience i think i just want things done. i have a few picturs in my galley thing , no aviation shoys. but i have a few on a tiger and a few on my other p.c. do you think i should post in the stages of my hercules as i do it?
wolfpack6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2008 - 02:46 AM UTC
First off Jim, modelling is a hobby that is meant to be enjoyed.
I am far from perfect and I have been doing this hobby for almost 30 years, but I enjoy it and have fun with it even if Im not as good as most of these Folks here.
Take their advice, learn from them, and most important Enjoy it.
Take a look at my 109a build blog and then you may have some hints that I dont know about.
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 595 posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2008 - 02:49 AM UTC
I agree with Gerald ....he has given you good advice.
the first thing seperating a well done model from a not so good one is the fit ,gluing and cleanup of parts.....If you start with a good kit such as Tamiya ,your confidence will rise,and confidence is the best tool in your kit.
Painting can come after you feel good about your fit and gluing abilities.
A good sharp knife(used carefully),and some liquid cement,and a giant lighted loup are my most used tools
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2008 - 05:44 AM UTC
Hi Jimmy.
i can only echo what the others have said. Sound advice.
Concentrate on the basics,,get the seams nicely sanded, no glue marks, clean the parts up etc. That means more than any PE or AM bits and pieces.
I cant recommend starting build blogs and continually asking for advice and constuctive critisism here in the forums highly enough.
I found this website when I started to get back into modelling just over 2 years ago.
This is what I was building back then..

And this is what Im building now..

No special talents, everything Im doing Ive learnt from these forums.
Your part of the best modelling club on the planet
Nige
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 03:18 PM UTC
We all started somewhere. One of the best pieces of advice I ever got. Was to "make every part and assembly a model unto itself." Detail or paint each piece with that attitude. But most of all have fun. If you enjoy it it comes naturally. Share some pics and the good fellows here will give an honest critique. Learn from it and you just get better.
squeeky1968
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 315 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 07:14 AM UTC
Hi Jimmy,i`ve been modelling for 31 years and i`m STILL on a learning curve !!,although my stuff will probably never be to the standard of some of the stuff shown on here i do it for the love of the hobby.The day i tire of it will be the day that it all goes on E-Bay,having said that my first kit was the Airfix 1/72 ME-163 Comet and it looked HIDEOUS !.Now at the tender age of 40 i can produce a kit that is not completley covered in glue and painted in the correct colours (not in what i think they should be !)
The moral of the story is keep at it and you WILL get there,i visit this site and Armorama every day and i`m still picking up tips,i think that this is probably the best site i`ve ever visited because when ever i`ve hit a brick wall in a project someone has always been able to help so never be afraid to ask questions,were all dying to help you out.
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 12:20 AM UTC
thanks guys. after my gargantuan task of the 1/48 hercules that i cant seem to shut up about. i will jump back to basics. and try to re learn everything. hell ill start on the hercules. i just hope the masking tape mask on the canopy holds up otherwise the thing will go for a pre finish test flight. haha
much appreciated everyone. i will try to post more pictures from now on .
Tin_Bitz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 35 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 11:19 AM UTC
Hey

Thanks for the advice. I'd just moved into a small apartment and going to have to order a spray booth before I make another kit. I tired making the Tamiya 1/48 Buffalo without paint to test my skills. It has opened my eyes as to some of my bad habbits. I'll post some pictures once I have my camera sorted.

Cheers
 _GOTOTOP