_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Twin Spinner Beaufighter Mk VI
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2008 - 12:12 PM UTC
Instead of cluttering up the main thread I thought I would start my own build blog.
Having decided the only aircraft I really wanted to build for this campaign was a Bristol Beaufighter, I went and bought Tamiya's 1/48th Mk VI version. This particular kit comes packaged with a 1/48th Universal carrier.

Having started this kit some 4 hours ago I have managed to build, paint and weather the cockpit and am also about to close the fuselage up.
The detail is pretty good, the fit is exceptional and this looks to be a pretty fast, easy build.
The cockpit comes with decal harness's ( which I used ) and instruments (which I didn't use).
Comments welcome as usual.
Andy

No I didn't forget the pin mark, you can't see it once the fuselage is closed up .
_H_Dori
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
AeroScale: 276 posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2008 - 09:41 PM UTC
Looks lovely mate. I absolutely loved building this kit it goes together sooooo well.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

H
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:08 AM UTC
Thanks Howard. This kit does go together really well, very little seam work to do, and any that does need doing just needs Mr Surfacer on it and a light sand.
The Beau's airframe is built and awaiting paint (which I only ordered Friday ). The great thing about this kit is the undercarriage bays, engines and cowlings are separate from the wings and can be built, painted and fitted after the airframe has been painted.
I shall start building and painting the dangly parts while I wait for the paint to turn up.
Andy

betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:50 AM UTC
Update.
The main camo is on. Xtracrylix's Middle Stone/ Dark Earth uppers and Azure Blue undersides.
Next up is decaling, so this should be finished by the weekend.
Andy
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 11:07 AM UTC
Your build is really looking good. Amazing results for a week.
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 08:21 PM UTC
Andy.

You're too quick!!!

I'm building three of these beasties at the moment, but not at your speed. How are you planning on painting the collector rings and exhaust? the instructions state tamiya copper - but IMHO this is way too bright. I was thinking a touch of Alclad jet exhaust?

Andy
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 08:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Andy.

You're too quick!!!

I'm building three of these beasties at the moment, but not at your speed. How are you planning on painting the collector rings and exhaust? the instructions state tamiya copper - but IMHO this is way too bright. I was thinking a touch of Alclad jet exhaust?

Andy

Quick, who me .
Thanks Carl.
Andy, are you building three 1/48th ones ?
As for the exhaust, you have echoed my thoughts exactly. I'm either going to go for the Aclad Pale burn't metal or I have a bottle of Model Color Brass I might try, but knowing me I'll end up using both .
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:42 PM UTC
I read a fantastic book about Beaufighters in the desert, from a navigator's perspective, McAughtry's War. Seeing the interior of your build reminded me of McAughtry cursing his pilot in the back there. His description of the Beau taking off is funny/scary.

It is more war memoirs than technical details but a cracking yarn, not sure if it is still in print though. Sam McAughtry is a great story teller and has been writing books and for Irish papers since demob. A real character. He makes catch22 look like a model of military efficiency. The build is looking really good. I've always liked the Beau. Look forward to seeing your progress.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 12:55 AM UTC
Great progress, Andy. Really good job on the camouflage job. It has a nice faded feel to it.

Looking forward to see more
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 01:56 AM UTC
Andy

Yes 3 48 scale Beaufighters.

MK X converted to MK VI for dominican Airforce.
MK X USAF
DAP TT MK21 Royal Australian Air Force.

I currently have 3 cockpit assemblies done and awaiting weathering. must agree that like the Mossie kit they just fall together - well the cockpits and undercarriage parts do.

Andy
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
AeroScale: 278 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 09:43 AM UTC
Andy:

Man you are fast. I haven't even finished the cockpit on my build. Looks great so far. I have always been a fan of that scheme.
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 11:34 PM UTC
Andy,

Great build on your Beau, I often use the Model Master 'Burnt Iron' or the Humbrol 'Antique Bronze' for the exhaust collector rings on my Beau's.

Here's a pic of a Desert Scheme of the same kit.
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2008 - 01:13 AM UTC
Great looking Beau Rob.
Is your bird in the same markings as the Tamiya kit (serial No T9068). I have seen only one pic of this Beau and there are a couple of things that the Tamiya kit doesn't show. One is the protrusion on the nose, ( which yours has ) what is it ?
And secondly there seems to be a marking of some sort above the back of the wing on the fuselage, I have circled the part. Looks to be half a V, do you have any pics or info on it.
Andy
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 01:20 AM UTC
Its finished. A superb kit that just falls together. I am definitely getting another one of these as I want to build a nightfighter version.
Andy

magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 02:02 AM UTC
One lovely Beaufighter!

I can only agree with the other people around: How on earth can you do this in a week? I don't get it...

Magnus
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 12:14 AM UTC
Hi Andy,

Sorry for not answering ealier.

Tamiya got a few minor things wrong when they did this kit in 48 scale, as I believe at the time of it's release, the original owners of Accurate Miniatures, had planed to do 3 kits of the 'Beau' but, that's another story.

Yes the 'Beau' in the post I put up earlier is the same T 9068 "V" using the kit supplied decals, the protrusion on the nose cone is the Gun Camera window, some had the square style window and some had a circular window fitted.

Yes I also have the same photo that you refer to, but in my opinion it could be part of the 'V' that was originaly applied to the fuselage, in earlier service.

Note: SAM Publications do a Data File book on the Beaufighter, which is a handy reference to many of the Beaufighter subjects.

Hope this helps.
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2008 - 03:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I can only agree with the other people around: How on earth can you do this in a week? I don't get it...

Planning and not watching the T.V unless there is footy (soccer) on of course .
Thanks Rob, I thought the half a "V" might be an old marking as it looks the same colour as the newer marking.
A bit late to add the gun camera on this one, but the next one will definitely have that put in.
Andy
 _GOTOTOP