_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
SAAF Spitfires
DAR
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 250 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 01:46 AM UTC
Hi All
I'm planning to build a couple of versions, one circa 1945 and the other approx '49/'50. Both will be South Africa based aircraft.
I'm unsure of the appearance of the pilots, any thoughts on how they would be dressed?
I'm guessing that the '45 pilot would have the standard WWII RAF/Commonwealth style garb, for the later version I'm stumped (I usually go for modern jets).

Cheers
Dave.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 06:15 AM UTC
I think your guess about the WWII SAAF pilot garb is right - it would be the same as what RAF pilots wore in north africa - khaki trousers (or even shorts) and matching short sleeve shirt with breast poctes in hot weather, similar long sleeve shirt and flying jacket in cooler weather (my b&w photos of SAAF pilots show that jacket to be dark colored and waist length). low lace up boots (probably brown). Often there was a white ascot.

as for late '40s and early '50s, good question. I have one picture in my references of the first SAAF Meteor (which was their first jet as well) just after arrival. A pilot is posing against it with some other guy who could be a crew chief. I couldn't tell you if that was the RAF pilot delivering the a/c, the SAAF pilot getting ready to fly it, or what. It is a light colored (khaki?) jump suit with cargo style breast and hip pockets and epaulets, black shoes, and an brimmed officer's cap.

That is only post-war and pre-Korea picture I can find of the SAAF in my collection. sorry I can't be of more help.
DAR
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 250 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 06:52 AM UTC
Vance, no apologies needed. Thanks for replying and also the great info, I think at least the '45 version is sewn up.
To make things a liitle more simpler, I might stretch the time frame up to 1954 for the later one.
For that time period I've found what I hope to be comparable pictures of SAAF Mustang pilots during the Korean War (complete with white? bonedomes and light coloured (khaki?) overalls/flightsuits).

Thanks again
Dave.
 _GOTOTOP