_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
p-47 undercoat colour?
bakedearth
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 97 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 07:51 AM UTC
I'm thinking of adding subtle amount of that salt weather technique to the edge of the engine cowling facing the prop on a p-47. would I want to have the chips be to metal or to a base coat colour? and if so what colour? or would that weathering technique not be appropriate ? anyways thanks for your time.

Trev
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 08:34 AM UTC
Hi Trev.
The paint chips would be bare metal.
However, if your modelling an early P47, these were delivered in olive drab and then the cowling colours were painted over this.
Later T'bolts were delivered in bare metal and painted on arrival at their fighter groups.
What P47 are you building?
Nige
bakedearth
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 11:35 AM UTC
I am building a p-47D razorback. so an early one. I am also wondering what the best way to glue the canopy to the plane is?? thanks for your help
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 12:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am building a p-47D razorback. so an early one. I am also wondering what the best way to glue the canopy to the plane is?? thanks for your help

Hi Trev.
Razorback with a white cowling ring?
Which kit and what decals?
For glueing the canopy I use either Humbrol Clear Fix or more usually normal white glue, which dries transparent.
Nige
bakedearth
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 05:18 PM UTC
it's a tamiya 1/72 P-47D. I'm doing the "sleepy time gal" number A23. Part of the cowling is white, some gray, and some olive drab. thanks again
szpxxx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 32 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 08:26 PM UTC
Hy Trevor!
As I know the base coat on the Thunderbolt was zinc chromate yellow corrosion protective primer under the olive drab. It is visible on several wartime colour photos and movies. The primer was a very thin layer, so mostly it is visible at the edges of the chipped or worn paint.
Cheers
Peter
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 10:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hy Trevor!
As I know the base coat on the Thunderbolt was zinc chromate yellow corrosion protective primer under the olive drab. It is visible on several wartime colour photos and movies. The primer was a very thin layer, so mostly it is visible at the edges of the chipped or worn paint.
Cheers
Peter

That was my original thoughts, but Ive changed my mind recently. Although I know that later Bubbletop batches and the M T'bolts were delivered in their NMF, I thought that the early Razorbacks were primed all over.
Finding these pieces from an early C model changed my mind though.

On this piece you can trace the development of the star and bar marking. Note the small area of neutral grey where the red then the blue has been painted over it. No trace of zinc cromate.

Peter. Id be very interested to see the photos where the yellow zinc cromate is showing through. Perhaps Evansville and Farmingdale used different methods.
Nige
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 02:14 AM UTC
Nige, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get that piece of P-47?
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 02:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nige, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get that piece of P-47?

Hi Alex.
Excavated them myself from a 1944 crash site.
Nige
bakedearth
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 07:17 AM UTC
hey thank you guys so much. this might be getting a little complicated for my tiny little brain, this model build was just to get me back into the swing of things so maybe my rusty hands aren't ready for all this crazy undercoat, primer chips and dings. But the knowledge is invaluable thanks again.

Trev

p.s. 1944 crash site ?/!! you crazy lucky bastard!!
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 08:49 AM UTC
Thats OK Trev.
Just do the paint chips in silver like 99.999% of us do
The hobbys all about having fun and enjoying yourself doing it. Its nice to learn a bit while doing the research as well

Why do people think Im crazy,,LOL,,all I do is build models and occasionally paint one in a bizarre paint scheme
Nige
bakedearth
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 10:02 AM UTC
heh heh it's the picture Nige, either your crazy or have a very itchy eyebrow! Lol just kiddin' seriously though.. I think I will try the salt paint chip thing, it will be my first time at so....... I do love the research part of modeling as well, I bought the new squadron/signal P-47 in action # 208 with the kit, and i just came home from the model shop with a few paints and another goddamn book " Jane's fighting aircraft of WW2. the shop owner sold it to me for 25 bucks so i couldn't resist such a huge hard cover for that price. But anyway blah blah blah.. thanks you guys
 _GOTOTOP