_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Roden Albatros D.I 1/32 kit #614
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 01:05 PM UTC
In Dec 2007 Roden said: "We inform You that model kit # 614 Albatros D.I is also included into our January release." We it looks like its out. Modeler R.R Fisher has weighed in.

". . .Decals are nice crisp and in register. Four aircraft are offered.

D.I 426/16 Lt. Gunter Jasta 2 Autumn 1916
D.I 435/16 Lt. Spitzhoff Jasta 5 Autumn 1916
D.I 390/16 Lt. O. Hone Jast 2 Autumn 1916
D.I w/n unknown Rittmeister Prince Carl Von Preussen
Flabt A 258 Western Front 3/1917

Same Mercedes Motor as in the D.II and Pfalz D.III

Clear acetate windshield

Seperate control surfaces. Wings are protected in their molding trees (G). So no issues with the wing tips as with the Pfalz D.III. The wings do have some swirls molded into the plastic. Light sanding and a primer will eliminate these.

Mold trees include (D) twotrees, with wheels, horizontal stabs, MG's and struts.
Both molded and barrell only MG's are included.
Note that some parts are for the D.III and are shaded on the insructions as not for use in this kit. (Into the spare part bin)

Parts Tree H includes the radiators, struts and fairings.

Parts Tree L includes the fuselage, rudder, upper cockpit panel and props (one for the D.II and one for the D.III).

The main tree has no identifier and includes the control surfaces, interior parts, exhaust, spinner and interior framing.

Over all modling is clean and crisp. There is a small amount of flash on the fuselage and some very small sink marks on some of the fairings. A little sanding will remove these. The exhaust has a more serious sink mark that will require some filler but still is not a big issue.

Basic fit is very good, typical of the recent Roden 1/32nd offerings. Looks like Roden has another excellent offer for the WWI modeler. . ."

Also Squadron monthly supplement catalog has it on the front cover.

_GOTOTOP