_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Revell Lancaster - Completed
__Monk__
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 09:11 AM UTC
Hi guys my name’s Monk and as you’ll see from my post count it’s my 1st and I’m kicking off with a completed built. It’s my 1st model that I’ve actually tried to make look good rather than just building it as the instructions. So, for the last 30 some odd days I’ve been building the new Revell Lancaster. I’ve got plenty of build pictures but I don’t want to bore you straight away!

Well, here’s the finished product:-

My first EVER painted interior - never occurred to me before!

There’s the option to reveal the two inner Merlins but I decided to go for just one as cutting out the panel was far too nerve racking to tackle twice!

I loved building it, the kit was very well fitting. I’d love to get some comments either positive or negative (to help me get better) or just to let me know what you think

Monk
_H_Dori
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 295 posts
AeroScale: 276 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 08:55 PM UTC
Having seen this in the plastic at the Warboys model show yesterday I have to say it looked fantastic, especially for your first "proper" model.

Well done mate it looks great.

H
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 08:57 PM UTC
Looks good to me. I also just picked this kit up at the LHS 2 days ago, at half the price almost of the Hasegawa kit it's a bargain.

Andrew
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 09:45 PM UTC
Hi Monk.
Firstly,Welcome to Aeroscale
Congratulations on a fabulous Lanc!
I cant fault it, and I love the exhaust stains and the weathering.
Whats the story with the yellow wingtips and rudders?
I look forward to seeing more.
Whats next?
Nige
__Monk__
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 10:46 PM UTC
Thanks a lot guys - I'm really happy with it. A fair amount of credit should go _H_Dori's way as he helped me with the necessary techniques. It was my first attempt at weathering and I spent ages searching for pictures of real aircraft and other models so I hope it's realistic.

Next I'm tackling something smaller - A Focke Wulf 190-D9, with some tricky mottling I might be setting my goals a little high.
__dmh__
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 33 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 11:12 PM UTC
I think you've done a top job mate, it makes me more nervous about starting mine now .

I'd be really pleased with, the scorching finishes it off perfectly!
fish1642
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 89 posts
AeroScale: 77 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 - 04:45 AM UTC
Hi Matt. Nice looking Lancaster you've done a great job. It's nice to see it as I work with your wife and she's been going on about it for weeks. Welcome to the site.
__Monk__
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 - 07:59 PM UTC
Thanks Chris, I'm sure her words haven't all been encouraging!!

Lampie, the Lancaster BIII LM739 / HW-Z completed 60 ops with No. 100 sqn between September 1944 and April 1945. The aircraft’s last mission was to Hitler’s ‘Eagles Nest’ at Berchtesgaden, this also being the final trip of the crew’s operational tour and the last ‘main force’ Bomber Command operation of the war. LM739 was a No. 1 Group Leader for the raid, and to assist with daylight formation keeping it’s vertical tail surfaces and wing tips were painted yellow, and it’s crew fired Verey cartridges and towed yellow pyrotechnic stars from the rear turret at specific points of the route.

It's also featured in this months SAMI mag if you fancy more of a read

Monk
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 08:25 AM UTC
Was totally sold on this when I got one a few weeks back, I'm cutting my teeth on a few other builds before tackling it as I want to make a good job of it. Looks really good, glad to hear the fit is good.
Is much of the interior it visible with the canopy on? Shame if it isn't, it is a really nice job.
Did you use a commercial mask for the transparencies?
__Monk__
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:05 PM UTC
Unfortunately you can really only see the pilot's seat, the rest is banished to darkness! I really just did it just for a bit of practice to see how it'd come out. Thanks for your comments though

As for the masks, I wish I had used pre-cut masks, it would have saved a large amount of time, just Tamiya tape and a sharp blade.

Good luck with your build, I know you'll enjoy it!
 _GOTOTOP