Hosted by Rowan Baylis
B-24H Lonesome Polecat
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 - 06:47 AM UTC
I completed this build this morning about 0230. It it going to be presented to the sister of the flight engineer of Lonesome Polecat, hopefully on the 22nd of the month. The plane was lost 9 April 1944 with all crew presumed KIA. She recently foundout what had happened to her brother and wanted a model built of his plane. I was lucky enough to get the nod to do so. It is based on the Academy 1/72 kit. I scratched the nose "whiskers" and made my own decals for the nose art. The rest is OOB. Thanks for looking. Comments welcomed. "Q"

drizzt73
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 158 posts
AeroScale: 70 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 - 07:53 AM UTC
Looks great. I am sure she will appreciate the job you did.
Cheers
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 - 08:01 AM UTC
Hi Mathew,

That's a fantastic presentation piece, I'm sure that the lady in question will be delighted.
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 - 08:40 AM UTC
That's a wonderful looking B-24 I like the paint chips to the vert stabs and weathered paintwork
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 - 01:05 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys. Much apreciated. Trying to get the base for it completed this week. Hopefully there won't be any hiccups along the way. Thanks again. "Q"
glamdring
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 - 02:20 PM UTC
Great job and story Matthew. I am sure she will be thrilled with your build. Personally, I really like the paint work - it looks really nice!
Allen
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 - 10:44 PM UTC
Brilliant job Matthew, well done!
Having recently completed a presentation build myself I know just how much pride and satisfaction your are going to feel when you hand it over.
Nige
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 06:56 AM UTC
Matthew,
Well done,a very nice build.
I must admit to having a soft spot for the Liberator...
Yet another kit to add to the stash.

What was your opinion of the kit???

Chris
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 08:16 AM UTC
I love the weathering, you are going to be very proud when you hand this over and rightly so

Mal
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 08:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well done,a very nice build.
I must admit to having a soft spot for the Liberator...
Yet another kit to add to the stash.

What was your opinion of the kit???

Thanks for the kudos. As to the kit.............
Well, Although the Academy kit is old, it actually went together pretty well. There were some serious mis-alignment issues on the spine. It looked like a brick mason had built it as not one of the panel lines matched up. That is no exaggeration either. I used dymo tape and carried the lines all the way across rather than deleting half of this and half of that. Once under some primer and painted, it didn't look too bad. The cockpit area forward is a challenge to align properly as there are no tabs to keep everything in place. I added my own and this greatly eased things. The cockpit is pretty barren, but one couldn't see much once the glass is installed anyway. With the new Hasegawa "D", its a different story. That greenhouse lets in a lot of light, but there are goodies to fill the space. Not so with the Academy kit. No mention is made of adding nose weight either. I forgot about this until after I had the halves glued together. I smashed a lot of fishing lead, coated them with 2 part epoxy and dropped them in place and let dry. Was easy enough to do, but it would have been easier with the fuselage apart. Given its age the Academy kit builds into a good looking representation of a Libby. I have two of the Hase' kits waiting in the wings. I'm anxious to see the forthcoming "J" as I have several sheets of after market decals for those, including "The Dragon and His Tail." If I find the Academy kits for say less than $20, I'll pick them up as they are easy to work with. Not the biggest and baddest, but I feel they are usable. Thanks again for the comments.
"Q"
ps. One thing I forgot to mention are the gun turrets. They are rather clunky, but if one takes their time they can be dressed up fairly nice. I just built and painted mine. Sort of wish I had taken a little more time, but.....
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 12:16 AM UTC
A really good looking Liberator. I am sure she will appreciate it.

Thanks for sharing
 _GOTOTOP