_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
OOP 1/48 Helos
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
AeroScale: 214 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 - 12:43 PM UTC
Anybody ever wonder, why did kitmakers stop producing so many interesting 1/48 helicopters, and never released them again? Revell used to make a Sikorsky H34, an H19, and a Kaman Seasprite. Fujimi put out some great ones: the Alouette III, the Westland Wasp, and the Gazelle. Some of these helos were widely used, by many air forces. Some are still flying even today. I wonder if the kits didn't sell very well?
I wish some of these manufacturers would stop burying us alive in an avalanche of Apaches and bring back some variety. Lately, I've seen some cool aftermarket decals for the Alouette and Gazelle. I wish those kits were easier to find.
grubbyfingers
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 404 posts
AeroScale: 339 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 - 01:18 PM UTC
Hear Hear!, J.

The Fujimi Wasp was my second helo kit. (The Airfix Scout was first.)

I'd love to see some of them again.

Graeme.

grandadjohn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 06:01 AM UTC
Me too, but I have heard that the H-34 mold was damaged. How about a new one and some that have never been released
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
AeroScale: 214 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 12:19 PM UTC
Speaking of helicopters that have never been released in 1/48th scale, Heli-Kit News says that a company called Navigator, in Nizhniy Novogorod in Russia, is producing a kit of the Mi-8 "Hip" helicopter in that scale. I think the Mi-8 has been flown by something like seventy or eighty air forces (including the Blackwater "air force "). Just imagine all the possible paint schemes and markings, for modellers. Linden Hill Imports will be selling them, supposedly for just $45.00, not terribly expensive for a resin kit. I hope they arrive here in America soon.
Maybe Linden Hill or Begemot will step up and print us some cool decal sheets for the "Hip." Guys, if you're listening, how about some markings for Mi-8s in the service of Abkhazia, the Palestinian Authority, Somaliland, South Ossetia, and Transnistria? (I am really fascinated by unrecognized countries).
LoachDriver
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ireland
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 09:05 AM UTC
I think the 1/48 H-34 from Revell will never be seen again because the mould was destroyed in an accident. A train crash in fact, if my memory serves me well. Some else is bound to produce a 1/48 H-34 before too long though.
HawkeyeV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
AeroScale: 129 posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2008 - 08:49 AM UTC
Time to shop eBay!
AH1Wsnake
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 08:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think the 1/48 H-34 from Revell will never be seen again because the mould was destroyed in an accident. A train crash in fact, if my memory serves me well. Some else is bound to produce a 1/48 H-34 before too long though.

Sounds like a perfect subject for Academy to continue their Marine helicopter series!!! Following up on their CH-53E and CH-46 releases.... an H-34 just seems logical. Hoping, anyways
 _GOTOTOP