Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/32 Hase' Spitfire wip
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2008 - 12:29 PM UTC
Picked this little guy up at Hobby Lobby for the nice sum of about $12 and some change. Gotta love those clearance racks! Thought I would try my hand at adding some detail to the cockpit. I removed all of the molded on wiring and added my own from copper wire. Added some extra styrene shapes to bulk up the molded on boxes etc..I didn't have any MkV references on hand, but I did have a True Details Mk.IXC cockpit so I used it as a rough estimate on some things. Made the oxygen hose from the same copper wire wrapped around some brass rod, then slipped it off the brass rod and onto some solder then bent to shape. The seat belts are lead foil with the holes punched using my Waldron set. I have no idea how "accurate" it is, but I like the look of it. I didn't don anything to the instrument panel other than paint it and add some gloss for the glass faces.

Shot pain on it today, and should be adding the gloss finish tonight. I realized I got ahead of myself by adding the post shading prior to decals, but I just got an Iwata Micron B in my hands and was anxious to try it out so I swapped brushes and kept going. It should be easy enough to fix later anyway. Thanks for looking, comments welcomed. "Q"

klimmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 250 posts
AeroScale: 207 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2008 - 02:03 PM UTC
In a word SWEEEET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2008 - 02:24 PM UTC
Thanks. Just found out the seat should be painted differently, but not much I can do about it now. Oh well, ammunition for the next one I build. Thanks again for the kudos. "Q"
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2008 - 07:05 PM UTC
ha, I picked up the same exact kit on the same exact clearance price! I'm kinda just whording 32nd scale right now til I get my practice up with 48th (I'm scared to work with something so big). I will follow you matt. how did the kit go together?
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 02:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I will follow you matt. how did the kit go together?

The kit went together pretty well for the most part. Take your time cleaning up the seam lines along the spine and bottom of the tail where the panel lines cross. Dress the mating surfaces of the wings, and wing to fuselage mating area. There is a nasty step/seam on the bottom where the wing and fuselage meet at the back. To deal with it you will lose the surrounding detail. There is no way around it. I tried and tried to be careful, but to dress that particular seam, there is no other way than to just attack it and accept the loss of detail. Sounds like a lot I know, but for its age, the kit is really nice. The seat and seat frame look really cool under paint. Just add some belts to it and it's good to go. Any luck on the missile instructions? Thanks, "Q"
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 07:56 AM UTC
Looking great Mathew. Although your seat belts aren't 100% authentic they do look the part, and the rest of the cockpit looks good too

I'm looking for one of these, I recently moved up to 1/32 scale, are the panel lines of the raised veriaty?

Mal
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 10:11 AM UTC
Yep, raised panel lines throughout, with the exception of having some minor access panels recessed here and there, and the flaps and ailerons being recessed. Thanks for the kudos. "Q" :
Murdo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
AeroScale: 211 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 10:34 AM UTC
It's certainly looking very nice so far mate.

I like these big scale planes.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 02:14 PM UTC
Thanks for the kudos all. Much appreciated. I'm learning more about the Spitfire as I go. A little more progress on the big Spit as of 5pm this evening here in Colorado. Still a little tidying up to do and adding all the little fiddly bits, antennas etc. Hope to have her completed tomorrow some time if not late tonight. Anyway, her she is thus far. Thanks for looking, comments welcomed."Q":)

Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
AeroScale: 278 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 12:59 AM UTC
Mathew:

Another beautiful build. I have this kit and your comments will be helpful. You can really get them cranked out. You must be much more disciplined than me Thanks for sharing
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 02:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You must be much more disciplined than me Thanks for sharing

My name and disciplined cannot and should not be used in the same sentence Thanks for the kudos. Actually what allows me to build so many so fast is being retired. I tidy up my house first thing in the morning, then the rest of the day is mine. With gas prices the way they are, I can't afford to take the Suburban out much, The Harley is a different story though, but I need nice weather for that, sooooo, I just stay at home in my shop watching old movies, listening to tunes on the PC and building, or as I like to call it, "Sniffin' glue" which is just a metaphore kids. Anyway, thanks for the comments, glad you like it.
"Q"
 _GOTOTOP