_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/48 B-24 ????
Razorback51
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 49 posts
AeroScale: 47 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 07:44 AM UTC
Has anyone any idea where i could get a 1/48 B-24 ?? it seems you just cant get them anymore
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 07:59 AM UTC
Check E-bay."Q"
B-17-guy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 27 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 08:24 AM UTC
I just did a brief search and found nothing but decals and resin parts. Sorry, I know what your going through.
calvin2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 886 posts
AeroScale: 332 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 08:35 AM UTC
Yep. E-bay http://cgi.ebay.com/1-48-Monogram-B-24-kit_W0QQitemZ120236388278QQihZ002QQcategoryZ1189QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Razorback51
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 08:37 AM UTC
I know it sucks it seems that the model company's have moved away from ww2 aircraft unless its a fighter no B-17F or C-47 skytrain or B-24 WHATS GOING ON !! hehehe
Hey B-17 guy if im not mistaken your after a B-17F ?? well i happen to have one of the old Revell 1/48 kits it is 95% all there only 1 engine and insturtions are missing but i could build this kit with my eyes closed hehe
let me know if your still looking maybe we can sort something out
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 10:11 AM UTC
Hi,

I have nearly completed my B24D from Revell. I got it from my local Modelzone for £15 and they had quite a few so give them a go.

Steve
Razorback51
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 10:34 AM UTC
Hi Steve.
Im just interested to know is it this one ? http://www.relishmodels.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=136

thanks.
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 10:57 AM UTC
That's the beast, not a bad kit overall, fit was very good only a little filler needed around the tail section. Interior detail is really good, especially the bomb-bay. Only problem I found was where to stick enough weight to stop it tail-sitting.

Oh, and its a big ole lump so find plenty of space for display!

Steve
LogansDad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
AeroScale: 109 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 11:04 AM UTC
Holy Cats! Any numnuts pays 26.00 for that kit is looney. I found the same Monogram B-24 at a Goodwill for $2.00. Got it sitting on my shelf for me & the boys to build together. My Uncle worked the Consolidated line in NY for 3 years during the war. We may not do a great job but hey,1.) they'll learn valuable Family History, & 2.) let's admit it guys, this is a MONOGRAM...
B-17-guy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 11:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Holy Cats! Any numnuts pays 26.00 for that kit is looney. I found the same Monogram B-24 at a Goodwill for $2.00.

Dude you got lucky....so the rest of us numnuts have to pay the full price if not more for this kit and others like it. Wise guy.
B-17-guy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 12:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I know it sucks it seems that the model company's have moved away from ww2 aircraft unless its a fighter no B-17F or C-47 skytrain or B-24 WHATS GOING ON !! hehehe
Hey B-17 guy if im not mistaken your after a B-17F ?? well i happen to have one of the old Revell 1/48 kits it is 95% all there only 1 engine and insturtions are missing but i could build this kit with my eyes closed hehe
let me know if your still looking maybe we can sort something out

I'm still looking, but I think it's cost a small fortune to ship it across the pond. Not to mention cost of the kit as I dont have any kits for trade. I thank you for the offer, I'd like to get it but I'm not really trying to spend alot on the kit.

On a side note...I have heard elswhere that revell is re-releasing the C-47 this year, I just dont know when.
Razorback51
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 01:07 PM UTC
thanks for all the input guys i guess i'll just have to keep my eyes open

Im currently working on Ataleri's 1/48 B-25c im building a diorama with the plane heavily damaged from flak and i plan to include the rare bottom turret ..

Well happy modeling guys...... B-17 guy good luck with the search and thanks for the tip on the C-47
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 01:20 AM UTC
The C-47 is going to be released as a AC-47 gunship. The other one hitting the streets is Trumpeters $150 wonder. While it has a full interior, I'm going to have to wait for the right time to grab one at that price. The Monogram B24's have been fetching high prices for some time now. There's nothing wrong with Monogram's big bomber kits. Where else are you going to find a 1/48 kit of the B-24, B-17, and B-29? They build into some excellent looking models. My C-47 D-day dio grabbed me a second at the IPMS nationals in 96', raised panel lines and all. We can wait on that elusive Tamiya B-17 we've been hearing about for umpteen years, and then take out a second mortgage to pay for it.... If you can find one of the Mono kits for under $40 I suggest you grab it. The trick is to find one. Good luck with your hunt. "Q"
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 03:57 PM UTC
PM Inbound
LogansDad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
AeroScale: 109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 04:56 PM UTC
Now Matt, you & I both Know I owe you bigtime, in ways I may never be able to repay. So I trust you'll realize I'm not trying to start a flame war here, OK? Peace and tranquility unto you, my brother...

Quoted Text

My C-47 D-day dio grabbed me a second at the IPMS nationals in 96', raised panel lines and all.

Not trying to pick nits, but hey- that was 12 years ago. Not that I'd suggest your work didn't deserve recognition (especially since I haven't seen it) but in the old B&H advert tagline-We've come a Long way, baby. Modelers nowadays expect (& yes, I came up on the old Lindbergh offerings, $2.50 Revell kits, and jaw dropping amazement at how awesome the Tamiya PzIV was when released-1978??) PE, engraved panel lines, weighted Tyres, mutiple decal choices, etc. They also seem to expect to be able to turn an older kit into a gem at a low starting price for the investment in a bit of "Sweat Equity".
I think this is proper, & actually enjoy taking an older kit, sanding down & rescribing the panel lines, adding a bit of styrene and lead foil, and turning out something slightly resembling the genuine article.

Quoted Text

There's nothing wrong with Monogram's big bomber kits. -If you can find one of the Mono kits for under $40 I suggest you grab it. The trick is to find one.

Well, having the kit in front of me at this point-eh, I gotta disagree. This thing is, to put it mildly, a Dog. Loaded with injector pin marks(on the interior & bomb bay doors-PITA to sand those out & preserve the longeron/frame detail), sink marks (at gunner's station, wing root & tips, & control surfaces- ya know, those lovely hidden areas that no one ever sees on an A/C), enough flash to recast into a 1:144 B-24, Hydrocephalic hobbit crew figures, and murky, rainbow-hued scale-foot-thick clear parts...shall I go on to mention that the decals have 7 distinct ridged layers of color, and the register marks themselves are nearly a millimetre off?

Now- I'm not trying to say that with some TLC, attention to detail, and hard work, this kit couldn't be turned into a lovely bit of history(which, in memory of my uncle, I fully intend to...attempt), and I realize that many a modeller would be delighted in the job.
But- 40 Bucks? That's just highway robbery, plain and simple. In my Opinion (& it's JUST my opinion) 26.00USD is price gouging. If modellers will continue to pay outrageous prices for outdated bits of plastic, well fair game to 'em. It's just going to make that next "Rare" kit that much costlier.

I'm sorry fellas-for personal reasons, my 2.00 USD specimen of this particular bird is not for sale at any price( though Matt Quiroz can have it gratis & postpaid if he should so desire-and I wouldn't bat an eyelash or harbor any ill will if he was to sell it off for 20 times my price, though only he & I know why), although I'm in financial straits meself.

I just can't, after having seen and been the personal benefactor of the goodwill & amazing support on this site alone, personally partake in this form of internet piracy & evry-man-for-himself neo-capitalism.

If I could find a case of these things somewhere, guys, I'd ship 'em to you at cost. Until then- keep up the search, & hope to meet an honest seller.

Pax-& apologies again for the unintentionally ruffled feathers-
RobH(LD)
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 03:50 AM UTC
No feathers ruffled Rob. Are we talking about the same kit? I got four "D" (One of which is the Pro-mod kit) and two "J" kits and other than some knock out marks on the inside of the fuselage, that won't be seen, they are excellent. The "D" kits are the re-releaed ones, with the exception of the PE in the Pro-mod kit, they are one in the same only in a different box. Not a bit of flash, weighted tires, no sink marks, and they all came with the waist gunner figures. Now the 1/72 kit, that was/is a dog. I can't honestly say the same for the 1/48 kit though. Maybe you got a bad kit or something. I'll concede that $40 is probably a bit high, but this is what I would be willing to pay if I was in the market for one. The bomb bay doors are curved, well, almost flat with no interior detail so I'm lost there. PM me with a pic of the box art. I'm curious to see what one you have. Ping me off board too and let me know how the plate situation is progressing. Have a good one. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP