_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Done! Otaki Bf109G6
m_buchler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 137 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2008 - 10:01 AM UTC
Today I finished this Otaki Bf109G6 (1:48). Because I am cheap, I sprung at the opportunity to purchase this kit as it was listed on Ebay for a mere FIVE dollars. How’s that for cheap, eh?

It’s built mostly from the box. The exceptions were copper wire brake lines and loop antenna. Oh, and the yellow tubular thingey in the cockpit (have no idea what its purpose really is!). Also, the Otaki kit provides a closed canopy. I Vac-U-Formed a copy so I could cut the copy for the opened display. This also meant I had to saw the armor headrest from the rear bulkhead, as they were molded as one piece. I also did go over all panel lines with a scriber, as they were quite shallow from the box. And I tossed the somewhat pathetic decals in favor of Eagle Strike replacements (markings of Oberst Hannes Trautloft of JG 54). I also added some Mike Grant decals to the instrument panel.

The kit wasn’t bad overall, really no fit problems to mention, the only exceptions being the shallow recessed lines, the underemphasized canopy framing, shallow wheel wells, and over emphasized tire treads, and poor decals. The cockpit is also not really up to today's standards. But hey, five bucks! I’ll let it slide for that! The other curiosity was the standing figure that comes with the kit. He looks like an Anime gas station attendant with an enormous sinkhole in his back, like he was shot with a cannonball. Enjoy-

Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2008 - 11:05 AM UTC
Mark,
Looks great. Gotta love those $5 wonders!! I have several of those type kits sitting on the shelves. A little TLC, some minor upgrades and you have a contender on your hands. Great work. Love the JG54 shcemes with that big Green heart. Only one point that's missing. The seam line behind the cockpit from front to rear. Its present on both the top and bottom of the 1:1 bird. I used to do the same thing and sand it out. A buddy of mine who is "Mr. Luftwaffe" pointed this out to me on some of my builds. Still a great looking build though.Thanks for posting. "Q"
m_buchler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2008 - 12:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mark,
Looks great....... Only one point that's missing. The seam line behind the cockpit from front to rear. Its present on both the top and bottom of the 1:1 bird. I used to do the same thing and sand it out. A buddy of mine who is "Mr. Luftwaffe" pointed this out to me on some of my builds. Still a great looking build though.Thanks for posting. "Q"

Well you're quite right. There really should be a seam there. I can never bring myself to include that seam on a 109, since my brain sees it as a nagging flaw, rather than authenticity. We'll just call it "artistic liberties"!

Thanks for your comments-
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 01:15 AM UTC
very nice work Mark..

the 'yellow tubular thingey' is the fuel feed tube - you've done a good job of representing the transparent 'window' cut-out which enabled the pilot to spot the first air bubbles indicating that he needed to switch tanks...
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 02:27 AM UTC
Turned out nice mark.
Nice to see one of the old classics getting built.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 02:13 AM UTC
Great job on this little bird. The paint looks good and goes together well with the colourfull markings.

Thanks for sharing
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 08:31 AM UTC
The finish on this looks great, you have done a wonderful job with 5 dollar kit You should enter this in the March MOM competition.

Mal
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
AeroScale: 278 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 08:52 AM UTC
Mark:
Beautiful job. I have a couple of these on my display shelves and yours is first rate. I love these old kits. Thanks for posting.
m_buchler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 01:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The finish on this looks great, you have done a wonderful job with 5 dollar kit You should enter this in the March MOM competition.

Mal

Well actually... I did!

Thanks all for the kind comments.
 _GOTOTOP