_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Help building BF109-E
mpatman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 160 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2008 - 04:47 PM UTC
Hi everyone.

I am just starting to build my 4th plane model the Hasegawa BF109-E "Hahn".

I would like to try and do a few minor modifications and would like to turn for your assistance. Firstly I will be building if OOB and was thinking of doing a mid air pose rather than with the landing gear down. I was contemplating trying to cut the ailerons and show the bird in a dive. So has anyone cut the ailerons? Any tips on this as I am only a newbie?

Here are some early progress shots. I have painted the cockpit but is still needs a wash and some scuff marks etc. i have taped the main fuselage and wings to check on the fir an i seem to have a minor gap at the rear of the wing join that i will need to fill.

Moeggo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 169 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2008 - 05:49 PM UTC
Mark,

I have never cut the ailerons in a build before, but I have with flaps. I would use a scriber to cut them, as thats what I do with the flaps. The scriber should give you a nice fine cut line. Good Luck!
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 04:20 AM UTC
Hi Mark,

I would second David's suggestion about using a scriber to cut the ailerons. Have you tested the landing gear to see if it will fit in a closed position? You may need to do some adjustments in that area as well.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I will be building if OOB and was thinking of doing a mid air pose rather than with the landing gear down. I was contemplating trying to cut the ailerons and show the bird in a dive.

Hi Mark,

So, I am wondering why the ailerons need to be moved to show the plane in a dive? Ailerons control the roll of an aircraft. the Pitch is controled by the elevators.

Of course, in mid-dive, even the elevators would not be offset. They would only be so for going into (elevators down) or coming out (elevators up) of the dive.

That's all for a straight down dive of course. Many aircrraft roll into a dive (e.g. early spitfires, which had graviy feed carberators that starved the engine of fuel in a nose over dice), so perhaps that is what you mean? In that case, at the beginning of this move, the ailerons would be offset at first, and the elevators and even the rudder might be as well.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 05:45 AM UTC
Yes, usually landing gear doors are too thick for the scale, they may require sanding on the insides (or surgery on the gear legs) to fit to the gear bays.
Remember to pay attention to the way control surfaces work. Horizontal stabilizers move up and down simultaneously, but ailerons move opposite to each. Left up - right down, and vice versa.

Unless you're short on image storage space, please upload some bigger pictures, those are quite small. (or you have linked to the thumbnails instead of the actual pics)
From what I can see, looks good so far.
mpatman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 07:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I will be building if OOB and was thinking of doing a mid air pose rather than with the landing gear down. I was contemplating trying to cut the ailerons and show the bird in a dive.

Hi Mark,

So, I am wondering why the ailerons need to be moved to show the plane in a dive? Ailerons control the roll of an aircraft. the Pitch is controled by the elevators.

Of course, in mid-dive, even the elevators would not be offset. They would only be so for going into (elevators down) or coming out (elevators up) of the dive.

That's all for a straight down dive of course. Many aircrraft roll into a dive (e.g. early spitfires, which had graviy feed carberators that starved the engine of fuel in a nose over dice), so perhaps that is what you mean? In that case, at the beginning of this move, the ailerons would be offset at first, and the elevators and even the rudder might be as well.

Yes I was thinking of displaying it starting to roll into a dive so i was also planning on adjusting the rudder and elevators as well.
mpatman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 07:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, usually landing gear doors are too thick for the scale, they may require sanding on the insides (or surgery on the gear legs) to fit to the gear bays.
Remember to pay attention to the way control surfaces work. Horizontal stabilizers move up and down simultaneously, but ailerons move opposite to each. Left up - right down, and vice versa.

Unless you're short on image storage space, please upload some bigger pictures, those are quite small. (or you have linked to the thumbnails instead of the actual pics)
From what I can see, looks good so far.

No i haven't test fitted the landing gear etc yet. i was hoping someone has done this on the Hasgawa kit.

I think you are right with the photos and I attached the thumbnails. I have a cannon 350d as the resolution is quite large so that shouldnt be a problem.

How do I attach the photos? Do you all use kitmaker or do you use something like photobucket?

Thanks

MArk
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 09:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think you are right with the photos and I attached the thumbnails. I have a cannon 350d as the resolution is quite large so that shouldnt be a problem.

How do I attach the photos? Do you all use kitmaker or do you use something like photobucket?

I use photobucket but the gallery space here works almost the same.
Anyway, when you open your gallery, you see the thumbnails. If you link that picture, you're only linking the thumnail, like this:

See the buttons under the message box? Clickin on the img button on the right inserts an image tag. Put the address of you picture inside the tags and it'll show up like above.

In the gallery, clicking on a thumbnail leads to the picture itself.
Now, linking the original picture with the img tags looks like this:

Below the picture, there's a field where you can copy a ready linked thumbnail code, which makes a thumbnail which you can click to view the original.

If you're using a lot of pictures, try photobucket, at least I find it quicker to use. There's 1GB of storage and you can copy ready img-tagged addresses for pictures right under the thumbnails.

I hope this helps.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 02:39 AM UTC
Interesting build. I build this kit some months ago, but I did not change the control surfaces and left the landing gear down, so cannot speak of own experience in these fields. However, I think some quite heavy surgery is needed for the landing gear. As I remember the gear is too big to fit into the wheel bays.

Regarding photos I can highly recommend photobucket. It is great and very user friendly.

Looking forward to see more
 _GOTOTOP