_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
camel, colour!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 04:43 PM UTC
Greetings all ! Thanks for all the b-day wishes . Cheers back at you all . I'm full of joy , I have Edaurd's kit Sopwith Camel ( black Mike ) being thrilled when I found out that he was a Canadain ! Also Eduard's kit of the Pfalz DIIIa from their weekend edition My question is . What shade is pc 10 ? I have few other kits that call for this colour . I've tried olive green with a little white mix in , but it doesn't look right . The paints that i'm able to get at the hobby shops here are . Testors , Tamiya , Humbrol , Gunze Sangyo very , very little of the Polly Scale and a new line called Model Color(Vallejo) . I prefer acrylic paints I find that yhey are easier to work with if any one has a idea on how to mix this shade please help ! Thanks
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 06:03 PM UTC
Hi Terri,

I reckon that apart from Humbrol 108 (I don't think this is availabe any more), the closest you are going to get is Tamyia XF-62 "Olive Drab".
To my eye, it has just the right tinge of brown in it.
I would use that as a base and maybe over shade with a slightly lighter shade.

This is a topic that has had many, many pages written about it.

Have fun with the Camel, it's a great kit.

Cheers,

Hugh
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 06:11 PM UTC
Testors Model Master Field Drab is what I use as a base for PC 10 & PC12.
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 07:41 PM UTC
Like Hugh i think Tamiya XF-62 is a good starting point, just a bit dark. I've seen models done using XF-62 lightened with either Tamiya Khaki or Khaki Drab and they looked pretty good to me. Anyway i think it's one of those colours that varied a bit.

Also Polly Scale do a PC10, i have a jar and i think it looks pretty good. But i just don't get along well with their paints (or Xtracrylic either)- only the Japanese acrylics work for me for some reason.

Andrew
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2008 - 01:51 PM UTC
Thanks Guys it really help me , off to the hobby shop tomorrow .! I 'll try the tamiya it sounds like it will be easier to work with . I have better luck with arcylics .
I will also try the Model Master on the other Camel i have , JackFlash seems to be on the money as well .
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
AeroScale: 131 posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2008 - 02:25 PM UTC
MRkit.has PC10

http://www.misterkitusa.com/index.html

John
 _GOTOTOP