_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Airfix 1/72 P-38 Complete
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2008 - 09:02 AM UTC
Well, at last my first model is complete. It's been a build with mixed emotions from excitement, to frustration to depression.....lol. However, two months later and I'm finally done

I'm not sure whether I should be happy or not.

I have made many errors that I hopefully I won't make on my second build. I have a notebook that I have noted all the ways I will improve my next model. You will spot it's not been weighted in the nose, a fundamental error I won't repeat again.

It was going to be Tommy McQuires 'Pudgy' but I tore the decals so built a 347th FG ship instead. The shark-mouth decals were quite difficult and on one bar and star, although I used Klear, there is still a little 'silvering'. I lost 2 'Don't Step' decals so hand-painted them using acrylics; I was quite pleased with the outcome on this.
The fit of the main wheels and gear doors was not good; as you can see, one leg bends slightly and I can't alter it.

Anyway, it's come to an anti-climax with the build ending suddenly. I'm eager to begin a fresh piece after a little rest. ......lol

Please feel free to give a crit. I'm keen to improve so just go for it......I had some misting up inside of the canopy using Klear; any ideas? Also I had a matt varnish to finish off, and it kind of when on leaving a dusty, particle surface that I had to snad down with 800 paper. Any idea of how I caused this?

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2008 - 10:23 AM UTC
Congratulations Alex!
Finally got there eh?
Its looking very,,very good!
Many people,,myself included,got back into the hobby thinking "I'll practice on a few old Airfix kits, theyre cheap and I can develop my skills on them"
Well,,many of these old Airfix kits require a LOT of work to get them looking anything like presentable, and youve done a great job on your P-38.
No doubt youve learnt many things that you'll have no desire to do again on subsequent builds, I see youve noted things down as youve gone along.
Put the P38 in your display area and enjoy the satisfaction of having finished it and despite the rollercoaster of emotions at times, youve thoroughly enjoyed it
Well done!
Nige
youngc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
AeroScale: 105 posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2008 - 10:57 AM UTC
Hi Alex my mate,

I think you've done a darn good job, for a first timer especially. I'm glad you pointed out the nose weighting issue, or else I might have made the same mistake in the future!

Weathering looks very impressive, and there is not a seam in sight!

I find it really hard not to throw away my first models which take up space on the shelf, but I keep them for sentimental reasons! But you should be very proud of this this kit and put it in a prominent place for all to see!

Thinking of a scenic base by any chance?

Chas
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2008 - 11:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Many people,,myself included,got back into the hobby thinking "I'll practice on a few old Airfix kits, theyre cheap and I can develop my skills on them"

Well over half of my stash are old Airfix kits.

I agree wish the others, Alex, you did a very nice job on the P-38
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2008 - 11:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well over half of my stash are old Airfix kits.

Theres quite a large pile of Aifix kits in mine as well
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2008 - 11:32 AM UTC
Thanks for all your positive feedback I have learned such a lot by reading all the build blogs on this site.

Chas, a fitting base would be great. I have part of an old kitchen worktop around somewhere, so that might be meeting the jigsaw soon
 _GOTOTOP