Something Different for me - KI.43 II "Oscar"
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 10:19 PM UTC
Hi all,

For the few of you guys on here that know me, you know I usually build mainly WW1 biplanes and that I don't really touch too much else nowadays - so this subject is totally out of left field for me, as I have never ever built a kit of a Japansese aircraft and really know absolutely nothing about them. Long story short, I recently got hold of a circle cutter for masking and painting roundels and thought that I might try it out on a kit from the stash. So out came the Hasegawa 1/48 KI.43.II "Oscar" - This one took me around two weeks all up and is completely OOB. All of the markings are painted on - my first real attempt at this also and I certainly learnt heaps (hence why the markings look a little off in some places - I was experimenting) From the very little I have seen of Japanese aircraft, these tended to get pretty banged up, so I didn't hold back on the paint chips. I don't think the camo scheme is really terribly accurate, but this was a fun build anyways so I wasn't fussed (that is what modelling is about, right?).

Anyways, here are the pics:

I definatley enjoyed this "left field" build, I think I may look in to some of the other Japanese aircraft kits, some of the schemes on these aircraft look quite nice...

Feedback always welcomed!

BC

10SQN Royal Australian Air Force - "Strike First"
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 10:57 PM UTC
Well Brad for a "left field" build it certainly looks pretty central to me I love the painted on markings as I have recently started painting the markings on all my aircraft models, painted on looks so much more realistic. The rest of the model looks very good too, nice one

Mal
youngc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
AeroScale: 105 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 01:29 AM UTC
Very well done mate,

That's an awesome job. The detail is outstanding and you have weathered the aircraft nicely. Good job on the hand painted markings.

Chas
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 02:26 AM UTC
Bravo! I think you've done a terrific job on the Oscar. I agree, the painted insignia looks very realistc, as does that weathering.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 05:52 AM UTC
Hi Brad!

Fantastic work!

The paintjob looks great and the weathering is just perfect to me. Congratulations!

Jean-Luc
mpatman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 160 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 05:19 PM UTC
Very nice work. i agree that painting the markings looks so much more natural and easier to blend in when weathering.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 09:48 PM UTC
Hi Brad

I love the weathering! And the painted-on markings work much better than decals to add to the effect.

Did you shoot some in-progress pics? This would make a great subject for a Feature article (at the very least, we should post an On-Display).

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP