_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Modern Aircraft?
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 01:32 AM UTC
OK, the Raptor was the modern plane of the US. Now, what are other new planes in other country like what is the latest model of MIG etc.? I wanna know so I can do a great diorama on these hottest planes.

Thanks!
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 01:53 AM UTC
Sukhoi's new Su-37 Super Flanker is a souped up version of the Su-27 with Thrust Vectoring exhaust nozzles and low speed maneuvering canards. It should be noted that there are pics floating around of a plane with forward swept wings going by the designation of Su-37. This is most likely an experimental plane. Don't put too much hope in the Su-37 designation, as it has represented both this forward swept wing bird, the canard and TV plane, as well as a carrier based version of the Su-27. Probably, that is because Sukhoi is trying to keep the true plane under wraps as much as possible. (the one with thrust vectoring is awesome, though!! It can do things a jet aircraft shouldn't be able to do)

I don't think MiG has anything newer than the MiG29 yet, at least nothing that we know of.

Saab has the new Gripen.

The Eurofighter is garnering a lot of attention in Europe and around the world.

And we can't forget the JSF being developed in the US.
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 01:53 AM UTC
For Russia, it should be one of the newest developments of the SU 27.

For France, it's the Rafale.
Linz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 181 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 10:26 PM UTC
Well, the F-22 wasn't the 'last' modern plane, the F-35 will be newer...but to your question (and no trainers or transports, only 'fighting' ones)

The Su-37 is no more, it was converted back to Su-35 status. Instead, Sukhoi's newest beast is the S-37/Su-49 Berkut. It's a forward swept wing aircraft that looks like it may (should funding become avaliable) take the prize as the new fighter jet over MiG's.

S-37 Berkut
Sukhoi S-37/37
Sukhoi S-37 "Berkut" 5th Generation Russian Fighter

MiG's competitor was the MiG 1.42/1.44, a more conventional looking plane. Due to expense it was scrapped.

MiG-35 / 1.42 Multirole Front-Line Fighter [MFI]
Mikoyan Article 1.42
RUSSIAN MULTI-FUNCTIONAL 5th-GENERATION FIGHTER ROLLED OUT

Other modern aircraft include:

Su-34 (two seat bomber version of the Su-27)
SU-34 (SU-27IB) FLANKER FIGHTER BOMBER AIRCRAFT, RUSSIA

Su-39 (an upgraded Su-25)
Su-25 FROGFOOT Grach (Rook) / Su-39 FROGFOOT

From China there is the Chengdu J-10 - a home built fighter to replace the J-6, J-7 and Q-5.

J-10 Multirole Fighter Aircraft

From Europe there are three big ones, the JAS-39, Typhoon II and Rafale.

The first is a multi-role single seater built by Sweden to replace the Draken and Viggen.

JAS 39 Gripen
JAS 39 Gripen
JAS 39 Gripen in Detail
JAS 39 Gripen, Saab

The second is - I believe - going to be the fighter of choice in the next few decades, the Eurofighter Typhoon II. A semi-stealthy state-of-the-art fighter that doesn't cost the earth and if given half the chance will be much better and everything than the F-35. Currently entering service with the RAF, Germany, Italy and Spain.

Eurofighter Typhoon
Eurofighter Typhoon
EUROFIGHTER TYPHOON MULTI-ROLE COMBAT FIGHTER, EUROPE
Typhoon

The Rafale is the last of the new-generation European fighters, a multi-role aircraft for the French military. Unlike all bar the F-35, this plane is capable of carrier and land based operation.

Rafale RAFALE MULTI-ROLE COMBAT FIGHTER, FRANCE

The only other new combat aircraft in the world today is the F-2, a Japanese replacment for their F-1. Looking like an F-16, it is actually a diferent aircraft.

F-2
F-2 ATTACK FIGHTER, JAPAN

That of course is only a brief summery, and ignores some of the other catagories of modern aircraft. But it should be a start.

Cheers,
Linz
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 02:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, the F-22 wasn't the 'last' modern plane, the F-35 will be newer...but to your question (and no trainers or transports, only 'fighting' ones)

The Su-37 is no more, it was converted back to Su-35 status. Instead, Sukhoi's newest beast is the S-37/Su-49 Berkut. It's a forward swept wing aircraft that looks like it may (should funding become avaliable) take the prize as the new fighter jet over MiG's.

S-37 Berkut
Sukhoi S-37/37
Sukhoi S-37 "Berkut" 5th Generation Russian Fighter

MiG's competitor was the MiG 1.42/1.44, a more conventional looking plane. Due to expense it was scrapped.

MiG-35 / 1.42 Multirole Front-Line Fighter [MFI]
Mikoyan Article 1.42
RUSSIAN MULTI-FUNCTIONAL 5th-GENERATION FIGHTER ROLLED OUT

Other modern aircraft include:

Su-34 (two seat bomber version of the Su-27)
SU-34 (SU-27IB) FLANKER FIGHTER BOMBER AIRCRAFT, RUSSIA

Su-39 (an upgraded Su-25)
Su-25 FROGFOOT Grach (Rook) / Su-39 FROGFOOT

From China there is the Chengdu J-10 - a home built fighter to replace the J-6, J-7 and Q-5.

J-10 Multirole Fighter Aircraft

From Europe there are three big ones, the JAS-39, Typhoon II and Rafale.

The first is a multi-role single seater built by Sweden to replace the Draken and Viggen.

JAS 39 Gripen
JAS 39 Gripen
JAS 39 Gripen in Detail
JAS 39 Gripen, Saab

The second is - I believe - going to be the fighter of choice in the next few decades, the Eurofighter Typhoon II. A semi-stealthy state-of-the-art fighter that doesn't cost the earth and if given half the chance will be much better and everything than the F-35. Currently entering service with the RAF, Germany, Italy and Spain.

Eurofighter Typhoon
Eurofighter Typhoon
EUROFIGHTER TYPHOON MULTI-ROLE COMBAT FIGHTER, EUROPE
Typhoon

The Rafale is the last of the new-generation European fighters, a multi-role aircraft for the French military. Unlike all bar the F-35, this plane is capable of carrier and land based operation.

Rafale RAFALE MULTI-ROLE COMBAT FIGHTER, FRANCE

The only other new combat aircraft in the world today is the F-2, a Japanese replacment for their F-1. Looking like an F-16, it is actually a diferent aircraft.

F-2
F-2 ATTACK FIGHTER, JAPAN

That of course is only a brief summery, and ignores some of the other catagories of modern aircraft. But it should be a start.

Cheers,
Linz

F-35? Mmmmm..... I can't wait for that plane to be in a box! S-37? It's in my model list. That MIG 1.4 (I think) isn't it in the game Command and Conquer Generals? The Chinese aircraft in the game? Looks the same as it.

Thanks for the pics. I need to get some cash (Are they all out in model shops?) I've only found the SU-37 but I'll try to find out other planes. Thanks a million!
 _GOTOTOP