_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
NEWS
1/32 Scale Albatros D.I
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2008 - 11:16 PM UTC

Modelimex have released shots of Roden's big new Albatros D.I

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 01:36 PM UTC
Here is a bit of fun for now. I'll have to do some more digging on a couple of these.

D390/16 represents a Jasta 2 machine flown by Ltn. des Otto Walter Höhne. Who came back and later lead the Jasta in early 1918.

D.381/16 - 392/16 flown by the Crown Prinz of Prussia. Original images of this machine show the early type water header tank. First flown by Ltn. Diether - Collin of Jasta 2, he claimed 13 victories on this machine. Later it was "given over" to the Crown Prince Friedrich Karl von Prussen who served as deputy commander of Flieger Abteilung (A258). The Prince attached himself to Jasta 2 and flew patrols with them. He was brought down on 21 March 1917 flying this very aircraft. First WIA, became a POW and DOW on 6 April 1917. He had been shot in the back while trying to escape at the crash scene.

The reason he flew this machine is unclear as it had been replaced by the improved D.III types. Photo images of this machine both in service and in captivity verify the over all light (Brunswick?) green.

D.426/16 was flown by Ltn. des Res. Wolfgang Günther of Jasta 2.

D.435/16 thought to be flown by Ltn. Spitzhoff of Jasta 5 originally. Here with this altered paint scheme it is believed to be represented later in its career at a training unit.

It looks like an excellent kit. And I have Aeroscale volunteers lining up to build them for reviews!
woltersk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
AeroScale: 215 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 03:29 PM UTC
Stupid question time:
Did there exist black rubber during WWI? Are the tires on the box art wrong?
I was always under the impression that rubber of the period was either gray, tan, or pink.

Thanks,

Keith
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 04:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Stupid question time:
Did there exist black rubber during WWI? Are the tires on the box art wrong?
I was always under the impression that rubber of the period was either gray, tan, or pink.
Thanks, Keith

Not a stupid question. See this Aeroscale thread click here.
 _GOTOTOP