_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
REVIEW
Airfix's Canberra B(1)8 / B(1)12
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 01:08 AM UTC

It's been a long time coming, but Airfix's 1/48 scale Canberra is finally on the shelves! Here's a First Look at this important new kit.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 02:38 AM UTC
Rowan, nice review. I've always been intrigued by the shape of these planes. I'll have to build one someday.
jimbrae
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 02:46 AM UTC
Definitely been looking forward to this one (and the others) thanks for posting such a complete review

The AM people are (as you say) going to get a lot of mileage out of this one...
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
AeroScale: 290 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 04:21 AM UTC
Merlin in your opinion is this new offering from Airfix an improvement on their kits of old and how does it compare to offerings from competitors in terms of quality?
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 04:44 AM UTC
Great review Rowan. Glad Airfix are back on track.
Andy
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 08:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Merlin in your opinion is this new offering from Airfix an improvement on their kits of old and how does it compare to offerings from competitors in terms of quality?

Hi Darren

I think Canberra represents a definite improvement over the kits that Airfix had produced in Portugal some years ago; the moulding is sharper, the surface finish is smoother and more consistent and the trailing edges of the flying surfaces are much finer. It doesn't match the sophistication of the latest kits by, say, Eduard, Hasegawa, Tamiya or Trumpeter, but this kit is aimed at a different market. The give-away is that it's deemed suitable for 8-year olds and the price - under £30, as against £40 for Trumpeter's Vigilante or £50 for a Wellington. I don't have the references necessary to make a call on accuracy but, judged simply as a kit, Airfix's Canberra is a good, basic, model that looks like an easy build and will satisfy the mainstream/casual builder OOB and will form a sound basis for experienced modellers to superdetail.

All the best

Rowan
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
AeroScale: 272 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 10:26 AM UTC
Hi Rowan, first time I've posted here for ages. Got my Airfix Canberra B (1) * today and my fisrt impressions are that it is probably a match for the CA version that I built at Christmas.

No doing so much modelling still due to eye problems, but getting back into it again.

Good to be back

Just love the Canberra - even the Tornado was orriginally known as the MRCA (Multi-Role Combat Aircraft) also stood for Must Replace Canberra (Again) - the first attempt being the TSR-2. I already have my TSR-2 on order with Hannants!
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
AeroScale: 290 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 11:14 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply Merlin, from your reply it sounds as if they are heading for the centre ground in order to satisfy those that just want to build a kit that looks the part and those that want room to improve and personalise.
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 - 02:23 AM UTC
Top review, thanks - matches what I see in my own box. Time will tell whether the panel lines are perhaps a little on the coarse side (only because it will take me twenty years to get around to it, and tectonic shift might have had some effect by then:D ).

But may I just say - box art, not brilliant. Given Airfix's high standard in the good ol' days, a bit of a shame, really. The picture in the advert was much nicer. But I quibble - it's a nice kit, and a very welcome one.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rowan, first time I've posted here for ages. Got my Airfix Canberra B (1) * today and my fisrt impressions are that it is probably a match for the CA version that I built at Christmas.

No doing so much modelling still due to eye problems, but getting back into it again.

Good to be back

Just love the Canberra - even the Tornado was orriginally known as the MRCA (Multi-Role Combat Aircraft) also stood for Must Replace Canberra (Again) - the first attempt being the TSR-2. I already have my TSR-2 on order with Hannants!

Hi Dave

It's great to see you back again. Yep - I'll be with you in buying the TSR-2! On the basis of the Canberra, it should hopefully be a good'un! I reckon we could start a "What If" campaign using just using TSR-2s!

All the best

Rowan
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 04:19 AM UTC
Thanks for the welcome Rowan.

A few observations on the kit, with wings and fuselage assembled:

All sprue attachment points are quite thick, as per the Nimrod and other recent Airfix kits, so a lot of care is needed so as not to spoil leading and trailing edges etc.

Parts 5F and 7F are shown incorrectly on the instruction sheet. 7F is the shroud that fits behind the instrument panel, so it fits at the top of part 3F, not the bottom as shown on the instructions. This means that the tab at the forward end of 5F needs to be removed - other than that the awkward looking cockpit area goes together quite well. Fitting it into the fuselage needs some care but it actually fits very neatly.

According to an ex-16sqdn crewman writing in this months SAM magazine, they never carried anything larger than 25lb practice bombs under the wings, so using the kit armament is purely a 'theoretical maximum' rather than an actual service fit!
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 04:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the welcome Rowan.

A few observations on the kit, with wings and fuselage assembled...

Hi Dave

You should start an On-Line Build for this one! By all means "hijack" this thread (or start a new one) - let's see some pics of your progress!

All the best

Rowan
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 06:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Dave

You should start an On-Line Build for this one! By all means "hijack" this thread (or start a new one) - let's see some pics of your progress!

All the best

Rowan

The way I make models nowadays, I'm definitely the only one that sees them!! I just do it for my own pleasure. I'll have to consider thisvery hard before posting any pics
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 - 05:29 AM UTC
Hi Dave

I'm sure you're being too modest - and you're already one-up on me by actually making some models at all!

All the best

Rowan
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 05:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Dave

I'm sure you're being too modest - and you're already one-up on me by actually making some models at all!

All the best

Rowan

Ok, just for Rowan

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 06:21 AM UTC
Nice one Dave!

See - I knew you were being too modest!

Did you use the kit roundels? The blue in your photos looks much better than I'd have guessed from my sheet.

All the best

Rowan
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 08:55 AM UTC
Thanks Rowan

All of the markings were from the kit. Thinner than other recent Airfix offerings, and care is needed as they stick where they are put - no moving around to position them correctly - the fuselage roundels on mine are slightly higher one side than the other.

Overall it's one of the best kits I've made for a long time - even the wing/fuselage joint didn't need any treatment.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 08:07 PM UTC
Nice one, Dave. Looks very good.

The Airfix kit fills a gap in the market. Although I am a fan of German WWII kits, the market is already overflowing with those, so nice to have something different.
I will probably have to build one of these. I lived close to the NATO "forward" airbase close to Copenhagen. I remember them flying low overhead many years ago, when I was in primary school.
airraid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
AeroScale: 142 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 - 07:15 AM UTC
Rowan

just a comment about the canopy it would be opened for entrance and egress as there is no other way to get into the pilots position on this aircraft.Same goes for the PR9.

Den

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 - 08:24 AM UTC
Hi Dennis

Many thanks for the info. I wonder why Airfix show so clearly not to open it?

All the best

Rowan
airraid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
AeroScale: 142 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:14 AM UTC
I don't know why ,but can you imagine trying to get into the seat in full flying gear from inside the aircraft.I based my view on what I saw at R.A.F. Wyton when on summer camp with the A.T.C..I would assume that the canopy would normally be closed due to our wonderful british weather when the aircraft was parked in the open.
jon_a_its
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 07:11 AM UTC
My lovely lady won this for me at RAF Cosford in the Tombola

But she wants it in BLUE!

Could this kit represent a PR9, & more importantly could it be in blue?

thanks in advance
Jon
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 10:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My lovely lady won this for me at RAF Cosford in the Tombola

But she wants it in BLUE!

Could this kit represent a PR9, & more importantly could it be in blue?

thanks in advance
Jon

Hi Jon

I think the simple answer is "no" - the PR.9 was "stretched" and had a much broader chord to the wing centre section as well as other changes.

I don't know about blue. The 1st prototype was blue, but that was different again and had the early style canopy.

All the best

Rowan
jon_a_its
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 01:18 AM UTC
Thanks for reply Rowan

So I need to 'swap' it for an early model (B2?) or would a 'bubble top' do the job?
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 01:27 AM UTC
You'll need more than the canopy for it to be accurate. The whole forward fuselage is different and so is the internal layout - the pilot sat on the centreline in the B.Mk.2 but offset to the left in the B(I).Mk.8. Even the instrument panels are different. Your best bet is to arrange a swap or sell your Mk.8 and look for a Mk.2.
 _GOTOTOP