_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
F-22 Raptor
RichPrag
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 26 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 11:47 PM UTC
Hi everyone. I am planning on getting an F-22 kit next in 1.72. The two that I can find are from Revell and italeri. Has anyone else built either of these models and can say if they are any good or not? I might be tempted by the Revell one, I have only seen the box art (of both) but I think revell might have an edge when it comes to decals...

Thanks

Rich
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 12:33 AM UTC
I started to build the Revell kit when I aquired it off someone as a "part built"kit (well the cockpit was) the only trouble I had was the fit of the bombbays to the fuselage as there were some nasty, unavoidable gaps but that shouldn't be a problem if you do the bays closed.
Netz-16A
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 05:54 PM UTC
Revell just released a new tool F-22, it should be out soon, a friend of mine has one, he just got it the other day, he said it's nice, there's a few detail inaccuracies but just minor, I'll check with him to see what he says about fit.
I'll see it this weekend as were having our Club meeting, I'll get some pictures and try to post them.
Curt

Academy will be releaseing one in 1/48 also.
RichPrag
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:37 PM UTC
Cheers guys, and Curt you look pretty hot (ha ha). But what do you mean by 'new tool'? Is that the way they mould the kit? i don;t really know anything about different types of mouldings (resin, injection etc). I guess this is kinda like also a 'which is generally better out of Revell and Italeri' thread. I had a italeri Su34, which I think went together quite nicely actually and looking at the decals I found last night (that I am actually going to stick on a mig 27 cos the su34 broke) they look pretty good. I only have a revell spit in 1.32 which is a bit of a dodgy fit in places (maybe cos I am a n00b) but the decals are pretty comprehensive. I don;t know whether that is revell generally or just cos its a big kit.
Netz-16A
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 11:43 AM UTC
OK, here's some more info, I don't build 1/72 so I didn't know this either.
The original 1/72 F-22 by Revell is actually the Italieri kit re boxed, so until now you only had the one kit, barring some obscure manufacturer that will jump up and bite me as soon as I make such a broad statement.

Now a "New Tooled" F-22 has just been released by Revell Germany kit # 4386, so your in luck being in the UK.
That is the kit you'll want to get, it's not perfect in all details but it is the newest kit out.
My friend said the fit is ok, but like I said earlier I'll get to see it Saturday and will steal a few pic's of it..

"New Tool" is just that, a newly tooled kit, nothing special, just new, not re-issued,re-popped,re-hashed, just new.

And you being from the UK, you didn't recognize Lucy Pinder!!!!!! shame shame.

HTH Curt
RichPrag
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 12:42 AM UTC
Ok thanks mate, yeah I would appreciate some photos and stuff, infor about the stickers and all that.

Lucy Pinder is it *slaps forehead*, mate I really can't see that small, pinder looks like she is off to one of MAx Mosley's 'dressing up parties'. Sophie howard is better
Netz-16A
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 05:21 PM UTC
Overall it is a very nice kit, it has just a few detail inaccuracies, and some molding hurtles to get over.
There are come over exaggerated bumps on the upper surface,(circled in red) the bump should be there but only within the panel it is molded over, the gun door is just that, a door, not a trough, and the underside aft engine panels are over exaggerated, just a few minor details, that wouldn't be hard to correct.
The gun Bay doors are plagued with sink marks on the exterior, and numerous punch marks on the interior, that's about the only gripe I'd really have.
Over all it's the best F-22 kit in 1/72nd scale.
Here's a few pic's
Curt

Netz-16A
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 05:30 PM UTC
Humm, Lucy or Sophie........Let me think......I'll stick with Lucy

http://208.116.9.205/10/graphics/pics/3637/9.jpg

http://images.phun.org/phun/galleries/lucy_pinder_sophie_howard/lucy_pinder_sophie_howard_01.jpg

http://www.hollywoodtuna.com/images/bigimages/lucy_michelle_sophia_big.jpg

OH, I could keep going on........................
Curt
RichPrag
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 10:18 PM UTC
Hey great stuff, thanks for that. I think I'll invest, I can deal with all the little inaccuracies cos I just build and paint, I don't really get too into the whole putty and filling and rescribing and stuff (mainly cos I don't have time or patience). I'll look at those links later, don't think my manager would appreciate me lookiing at breasts in work time!
 _GOTOTOP