_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Help with diorama for PTO P-38
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2008 - 10:20 AM UTC
I've cut myself a base for my P-38 and would like to make a very simple diorama for her. I was thinking of a crushed coral effect, but don't know how to achieve this. I am pretty sure my '38 operated in the Guadacanal area in 1943.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
LSOCV171945
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2008 - 11:30 AM UTC
Woodland Scenics makes railroad ballast for model railroads and is a good source for crushed coral. Available at any model railroad hobby shop. Don't forget to add some PSP for a hardstand. Lastly, throw in a palm tree or two
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 08:58 AM UTC
Sounds like a plan, thanks Has anyone made a PSP hardstand on here?
LSOCV171945
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 01:08 PM UTC
PSP is pierced steel planking which was used extensively in the PTO. Any Osprey book or Squadron In Action for the P-38 in the PTO will have at least one picture of a Lightning resting on PSP (typically in a maintenance area). PSP was used in areas where the ground was soft. It was laid down and connected together to form a soild foundation to park vehicles, equipment and aircraft. Flightpath products makes PSP in 1/48 and 1/72 scale. You can get it online at GreatModels or Squadron. Just type PSP into their respective search engines. My diorama of a 1/48 B-17E of the 5th USAAF at Cactus has the PSP off the runway as a kind of tarmac that the aircraft is sitting on while fueling and bombing up.
youngc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
AeroScale: 105 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 01:14 AM UTC
I'm looking forward to seeing the diorama, especially because it's Pacific Theatre.

Just a little advice. Don't be tempted to litter the diorama with palm trees. Remember, most palms in the vicinity of the field were destroyed after the initial Japanese construction came to an end. Palm trees close to an airfield were a recipe for disaster. The ensuing battle would have obliterated a large portion of the vegetation on and around the airfield anyway.

Can we have some pictures of the P-38?

Chas
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 08:38 AM UTC
Hey there guys, thanks for that. I will only be making a very simple base and just piece of psp will suffice. It's just a way of dispaying the model, but mainly a practice for future projects.

As it's my very first model I reckon it's pretty special.......lol

_GOTOTOP