_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Blackhawk
nitrocomplex
_VISITCOMMUNITY
APO, United States
KitMaker: 349 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 07:13 PM UTC
Ok i am or i was building a blackhawk but it looks like thrash because of the decals and the bad gloss coat and spot gloss paiting and now i am planning on stripping it in CSC and redoing it but now i need to find out if there is an aftermarket set of decals for use on 1/35 helis' just some generic decals IE: united states army, no step, call numbers things like that no need for a sheet just for a blackhawk just every day type markings or what is a good CHEAP modern heli to get a sheet from that would have the decals needed?

And as far as color goes are there really "black" blackhawks or should it be heli drab green?
sneakypete
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
KitMaker: 149 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 09:59 PM UTC
If the issue is having a glossy looking acft or at least a few glossy spots but are otherwise satisfied, why not just lay a clear flat coat over it. I got some from an arts and crafts store for a couple of bucks. Many people use it to seal in the wethering that is applied.

Also if you are concerned at the finish looking "splotchy" and not a uniform color, thats ok because the oils and hydraulic fluids or even a wash leave it streaked. Not to mention after a corosion inspection the crew chiefs paint any bare spots they find normally with a can of CARC spray paint that never a 100% match.

I hope this helps
-Dan
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 03:16 AM UTC
Dan is correct above. Dullcoat will take care of the gloss and a splotchy appearance can be turned into wear and weathering. You want it glossy for the decals to adhere without silvering anyways, then dullcoat over them to seal them on.

If the above doesn't meet your fancy, as I stated at Armorama, Cobra Company has the SOAR decals for an MH-60L. However, depending on which kit you have, it may not have the parts for an MH-60L model. The original UH-60A/L kit will not build into an MH-60L. The USAF MH-60G kit has most of the parts for an Army MH-60L, but not all. The AH-60L DAP (really an MH-60L since the US Military doesn't use the AH designation for Blackhawks) has pretty much all the basic MH-60L parts, but will still benefit greatly from the CC upgrade sets.

Good luck.
nitrocomplex
_VISITCOMMUNITY
APO, United States
KitMaker: 349 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 07:56 AM UTC
Yeah i went through all the stages of paint and when i got to the dullcote i just wasn't pleased with the "lumpy" look where the spot gloss coating was so i stopped and packed the kit up for rebuild at a later date. and since this is a great kit and will be in a high viewing area of my display case i really want it to be spot on these "lumps" have to go.
 _GOTOTOP