In Progress - Kayaba KA-1
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 09:12 PM UTC
Hi all,

Thought I'd share a few quick progress pics of my latest project – the 1/48 Kayaba KA-1 autogyro from AZ Models.

This little autogyro shares a unique (yet obscure) place in history as the world’s first operational autogyro. This little aircraft was operated by the Japanese in world war two from around mid 1942, and was used by both the Army and Navy for reconnaissance, artillery spotting and even anti-submarine warfare using depth charges (a sub kill is tentatively credited to a KA-1). These aircraft were operated from both land and light aircraft carriers. They were powered by license built copies of the German Argus AS-10C engine (same engine used on the Bf-108 and Fiesler Storch). Some 240 examples were built.

There are little to no references on this aircraft that I could find on the internet other than some grainy photos and line drawings. This didn’t help me in working out how the cockpit should look. For the cockpit, the kit supplies some thick internal framing, a floor, two photoetch instrument panels that glue onto plastic backing, two resin seats, a resin throttle and a resin map case. The fuselage halves are marred with large ejector pins on the inside, the framing doesn’t conform to the shape of the fuselage, the control columns look like truck axles and the instrument panels don’t fit. Long story short – I scratch-built the cockpit. As I have no references, this was an exercise in “creative gismology”.

I filled and sanded the ejector pin marks in the fuselage halves, and made some framing from thin evergreen strip. I retained the cockpit floor, seats and plastic instrument panels sanded to fit. The seats had lightening holes drilled in them to more represent the usual “Japanese” style of aircraft seats, and the kit lap belts were used. Gauge backs for the rear instrument panel were added from plastic rod, and wiring from the instrument panel gauges was added from fine wire (no need for this on the front instrument panel obviously!). I retained the map case, glued in to the front cockpit (the instructions would have you glue it in to the back cockpit, however the observer sat in the front cockpit in this aircraft). I added throttle quadrants in both cockpits from the spares box. I figured that as this aircraft was a spotter aircraft that it likely had a small radio set – so I rummaged through the spares box and added two small radios to the port observers cockpit. Remaining wiring was added from fuse wire. I also figured that the fuel tanks were likely around the centre of gravity, so I scratch-built the fuel and oil tank set up from the spares box, strip plastic and fine solder and will add them to the front of the cockpit. Again, no references for this but it looks convincing enough to me. Rudder pedals were scratch built and the control columns came from the spares box, as did the rest of the bits and pieces. You may notice the instrument panels have no gauges – these will be added from a photoetched gauge set after painting.

Here are some pics of it all dry fitted together.

Next is on to painting – the instructions say that the cockpit was painted dark grey – given that I have no references to dispute or to prove that this is the case, I am still considering what colours I will paint the interior….. anyways…

All feedback welcome!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 10:53 PM UTC
Hi Brad

Wow! Stunning stuff! I can't wait to see how this one progresses. Like you, I have no references for the real thing, but I think the Luftwaffe-style control columns are probably more elaborate than the KA-1 originals - your crew will be travelling in luxury.

All the best

Rowan
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 06:08 PM UTC
Managed to get some paint on the cockpit. Colours were completely speculative as no known descriptions exist. The kit instructions say "dark grey", which doesn't seem to be a colour featured on Japanese interiors. A friend of mine who builds mainly Japanese aircraft suggested I paint the fabric a dark red to replicate the red oxide dope, and that metal areas were likely left natural metal or coated in blue or green tinted clear overcoat. I went with the natural metal for no reason other than I figured these things would not have been too fancy inside. Gauges were from the spares box, and I scratchbuilt a small map holder for the front observers cockpit. Glass gauge covers were replicated with white glue.

Anyways, here are some pics - let me know what you think.

BC
whittman181
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 646 posts
AeroScale: 67 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 06:49 PM UTC
Excellent detail work , I'll enjoy watching your build Thanks, Bob
legendasboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Portugal
KitMaker: 168 posts
AeroScale: 159 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 02:36 AM UTC
great work, i hope my next one could be so good
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:52 AM UTC
Fantastic work here- everything looks very convincing and reasonable. March on!
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 11:24 AM UTC
Very impressive work so far.
Please keep us posted on the rest.
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2008 - 07:43 PM UTC
Now she's starting to look more like a KA-1... aside from the undercarriage and engine compartment, this is pretty much the majority of the major construction done. The fit was, well, not great. None of the panel lines matched up, and the horizontal and vertical stabiliser joints were a little rough. Nothing some filler and patience couldn't take care of though!

Next is on to the engine compartment. I have decided to steal the Argus As10 engine from an eduard BF-108 and do the engine compartment with the cowls up. Should be fun, as you can see I have already started the firewall. I have also started widening the front part of the cowling as it is way too narrow to take the front end of the Argus. Will post more as I proceed...

Cheers!

BC
dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 918 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:56 PM UTC
Hi Brad,

That´s a very interest project you are making. I like those tipes of strange planes so I´m going to follow this topic with attention.
thehannaman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 194 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 04:37 AM UTC
Very cool! First rate craftsmanship on an extremely interesting subject. KUDOS!
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 01:23 AM UTC
Minor update - I have finished widening the engine nose cowl after separating it from the remaining engine cowls (the kit cowl is too narrow to house the Argus engine). This was another fun exercise in filling and sanding. Thankfully my motortool took care of the fun work of thinning the inside edges of the thick plastic to a more realistic thickness.

BC
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 03:27 AM UTC
That's an unusual build you have going there, Brad. You've done a splendid job on that interior.
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 11:07 PM UTC
Some more progress form this weekend - now the engine compartment is essentially built up and ready for paint. Alas there are absolutely no references that I could find for how the Argus 10C copy was installed on this aircraft. As such, I made some assumptions based on the general arrangement of the aircraft (ie where the undercarriage attaches, the locations of the exhaust pipes etc), as well as looking at references of Argus 10C engines and their plumbing from the net.

The engine itself is from the Eduard Bf-108 kit, as well as the engine supports. I added spark plugs from stretched sprue, and the rest of the plumbing from solder and fine wire. Remaining details are stretched sprue, foil, or bits from the spares box. I still need to add the exhaust pipes themselves (these will come last as no doubt I will break them off!). The below pics show it all dry fitted together.

Next is painting. Again, as I have no references, I will be making some more assumptions on the colours.

All feedback welcomed!

BC
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 10:25 PM UTC
The KA-1 now has some legs. Most of the undercarriage was built from styrene rod, other than the main legs which were the kit parts.

Time for some paint methinks...

BC
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 04:00 AM UTC
Fantastic work- truly an uber-build! Nice work on the engine compartment- cheers!

chuk
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 05:03 PM UTC
I have now scratch built the engine covers from 0.005" plastic sheet and strip. The simple contours were achieved by bending the thin sheet in hot water.

BC
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 05:51 PM UTC
Brad,

Well done, it is great to see a unusual aircraft come together. Will this be done "factory new" or "well worn"?

-Derek
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 06:01 PM UTC
Hi Brad!

Fantastic work so far and very inspiring! I hope you will submit the build as a feature when the model is finished...

Jean-Luc
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 10:49 PM UTC
The engine compartment got some paint on it over the weekend - here are some pics of it all dry-fitted together.

Now the fun part - onto the camo!

All feedback welcome!

BC
jam2727
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 171 posts
AeroScale: 113 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 01:12 AM UTC
Wow mate keep it going, that engine looks really great. Is there a pilot your going to include?

cant wait to see the finished result
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10:21 PM UTC
The exterior has some paint now - I used Tamiya JA Green, JA Grey and Gunze Middlestone. The roundel was also painted. Next, clear coat, then decals, then wash, then final construction...

BC
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 11:18 PM UTC
Wow! That looks awesome. The camo, the subtle weathering, the whole package. Great work and look forward to seeing the finished model
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2008 - 01:47 AM UTC
Hi Brad!

I wanted to wait until the build was finished to post some more comments but... wow... that's a Fantastic paintjob!

How did you do the paint chipping? Looks great...

Jean-Luc
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2008 - 04:06 AM UTC
Fantastic! I'd broken off that cowl framing 32 times before now- your skills are mighty, indeed. What a great scheme- cheers!

chuk
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2008 - 04:36 AM UTC
Hi Brad

Marvellous work! I'm looking forward to seeing how you tackle the rotor mount - that's so flimsy, it's the part that I'm dreading when I tackle the kit...

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP