_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
F-16 Help
rgriveson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 07:21 PM UTC
I'm about to undergo a project to build an F-16 for my best friend's father who recently retired from the USAF. his favorite Viper squadron was the 80th Fighter Squadron "Juvats" at Kunsan Airbase in Korea. the question is, what do you guys think would be the best brand model to build? and are there decals availible? i'm hoping for at least 1/48th scale, but the bigger the better.

Thanks

Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
AeroScale: 111 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 08:28 AM UTC
According to what I could find on the internet, the 80th operated F-16C Block 30s up until late 2006, when they started trading them for Block 40 F-16Cs. Depending on what time frame you wish to model, you'll need to choose which one of the two blocks you want to build. For more info on the different production blocks, go here.

I'm a big fan of the Hasegawa F-16 kits, easily the best 1/48 scale Vipers out there IMHO. They produced a wide range of versions and production blocks; Hasegawa #09382 will allow you to build a F-16C Block 30, while Hasegawa #09368 will get you a F-16C Block 40.

The Academy 1/48 kits (only three of them, IIRC) are pretty good from an accuracy standpoint, but run second to the Hasegawa offerings in final fit. There are no straight Block 30 or 40 builds here though, but Academy's kit #12204 will build into a Block 32 machine, so if you want to fudge a bit...

The Italeri (and re-boxed ROG) 1/48 kits suffer from accuracy problems and a few annoying build issues, so I would just steer clear of them.

If you want to go big scale, it would be hard to beat Tamiya's 1/32 F-16 (#60315), although it is a Block 50 bird, and not accurate for either of your proposed builds. It's also a pricey bit of plastic. The Academy 1/32 scale F-16C (#12101) may be your best bet for a large scale replica. It is a nice kit, can be built as a Block 40, and it contains markings for 2 aircraft out of Kunsan airbase. The markings are for the 35th FS, not the 80th, but it's a start...

I couldn't come up with anything else for the decals on that particular FS, but I'm sure one of our resident Viper guys might be able to give you more info.

HTH.

-YL
rgriveson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 02:28 PM UTC
thanks a bunch for the info. i'm going to dig around and see if i can come up with any decals... if anyone finds any, let me know
ViperEnforcer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 204 posts
AeroScale: 202 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 07:04 PM UTC
Ahh, the 80 Juvats. I was in the 35th for my 94 tour. The 35th converted from Block 30 to 40 in 2006 and just recently (January), the 80th changed all their Block 30s (Now Aggressors) with Eielson’s Block 40s.

Without a doubt, the best kit would be Tamiya’s48th F-16C Block 25/32 kit. You’ll have to use the GE exhaust and Big Mouth (MCID) intake from the F-16CJ kit. Or you can wait for an upcoming Block 30 conversion that we’re doing (TMR) which will have an accurate “Complete” GE exhaust and the MCID intake. Also, Wolfpack is also coming out with a Block 30 conversion, though less complete.

Hasegawa is the next best choice, but is lacking is detail. You’ll need to get a hold of the F-16CJ/CG or late C kit boxing that has the Big Mouth intake.

Stay away from the Academy kit. It seems like a copy of the Hasegawa kit, but has some major shape errors in the intake and aft strakes. The intake is mal-formed, as not only does it not have the correct profile, but one side is smaller than the other which severely throws off the symmetry. The aft strake totally lack to proper 10 degree cant angle. Academy cut a major corner here, only beveling the stabs to get the 10 degree unhedral. Detail is quite poor even compared to Italeri. Also, at best you can ONLY build a Block 25 from the basic F-16C kit.

Italeri would be a better 3rd choice, though it has some shape issues too. It also has the same problem in that only a block 25 can be made from it. It does have a GE Nozzle, but it’s terribly inaccurate, being poorly shaped and having 14 turkey feathers instead of the correct count of 12. At least they have decent symmetry to the intake mouth (though it’s still does not have the proper shape) and they got the aft strake unhedral correct.

As for decals, Two Bobs made a set of F-16 decals that had Special WP markings, but also another wing king jet. If you want to do a regular line jet, you may have to use the TB sheet and add in the solid gray WP lettering and the same for the SN.

Mike V
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
AeroScale: 111 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 - 05:59 PM UTC

To be honest, I didn't know that the 1/48 Academy kit had the dimensional issues that Mike listed. My apologies for the misleading info; I thought the Academy offering was pretty accurate.

And yes, I totally missed the new Tamiya kit.

-YL
rgriveson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 12:10 PM UTC
so tamiya c kit? what about the MCID? and what about any aftermarket detail sets, and decals?

this will be my first modern bird, mainly i do WW2 armor dios

_GOTOTOP