_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Standardized Vietnam Revetments?
awrc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
AeroScale: 61 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 02:15 PM UTC
Hi,

I'm shortly planning to start building my Tamiya A1-H and a predictable but interesting display idea seems to be to have it sitting on SAR alert, on a base of PSP, in a wooden revetment.

Now having looked at vast numbers of pics of Skyraiders in revetments, it's pretty apparent that there was a standardized type in use. From one or two color pics they appear wooden, but in others the surface looks way too smooth. They're also modular - as though sections could be slotted together to make a revetment of a particular size.

Does anybody know the exact size specs of these? From what I can see each has 9 horizontal square beams, with the gap between beams being the same as the beam width (i.e. the height of each section is about 18 x the width of a beam. The panels are separated/joined by a vertical beam and each seems to be about just slightly wider than it is tall (i.e. square).

Does anybody know dimensions, what they were made of, structure, standard color, etc? I figure that depending upon the material it shouldn't be a huge engineering feat to make a revetment out of either scale lumber or suitable Plastruct or Evergreen. I can get the size of a typical Skyraider revetment in "panels" easily enough, but don't want to end up making the panels themselves too big or small and I'd like to have the other sides visible too (since they appear to have been arrangement like some Vietnam-era equivalent of a contemporary office cubicle farm).

Thanks to anybody who can help,

Al

taylgr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 152 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 05:12 PM UTC
Al
Try here,

http://public.fotki.com/tsumner/revetments/

Greg
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 07:56 PM UTC
Great link. Lots of good details. Could be a little difficult to mass produce for a revetment even if a bending tool.

Clickable link
f_4phantom1959
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 111 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 - 02:27 AM UTC
As for the skyraider try here
http://skyraider.org/skyassn/index.htm

For the revetment size

Try using Google earth

Cam Ranh Air Bace

Fred
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 - 06:18 AM UTC
Hi Al,

Mark58 of France makes some diorama products in all scales and has some Vietnam references...

You can find the whole range of Mark58 products, including pictures here: Mark58

Jean-Luc
awrc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
AeroScale: 61 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 - 08:59 AM UTC
Thanks to everybody for the great responses - looks like I've got everything I need to build the diorama readily available.

Regards,

Al

JohnTice
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 04:44 AM UTC
Hi, Al,

I researched building a Vietnam era Skyraider revetment earlier this year. Haven't finished it yet, but found a ready-made material for making the walls. I bought some Plastruct #91521 G scale/1/24 corrugated siding. Based on measurements taken from photographs, it looks pretty good for the sides. I was at Pleiku in '68-'69 and A-1's were our heavy hitters. I have seen their revetments up close and they were made of steel. As I recall, the steel was unpainted and possibly galvanized. The tops were open, revealing red dirt fill inside. There were a few narrow, round braces across the tops. The bottoms were raised a few inches off the ground to give the monsoon rains a place to run off. I am from Wisconsin, too (Milwaukee area). Greenfield News and Hobby carries a lot of Plastruct stuff. I just walked in and walked right out with the corrugated sheathing and some beams to hold it together. Walthers model trains probably carries the stuff, which can be purchased either at their store on the northwest side of Milwaukee or by mail order. Good luck.

John Tice
 _GOTOTOP