_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
PHOTOS: MODEL
A-10 Warthog
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 09:25 AM UTC

Tod Tyler has sent us some photos of his Italeri 1/48th A-10 Warthog.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 02:41 AM UTC
Great build, Tod. A very impressive load out. This warthog can definitely deal out some serious pain.

Thanks for sharing
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 03:38 AM UTC
Very cool!

The A-10 is one of my favorite planes. You know when the U.S. has built a dangerous piece of equipment is when we don't sell it to other countries, such is the A-10. Below are some youtube links of the A-10. On the last one, listen for the "gun", it is the most erie sound!

-Derek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sALiuWg_I1k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKRGDCR28g0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVp9NsYbxBU
Juggler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 104 posts
AeroScale: 39 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 05:06 AM UTC
It's amazing, how much work was involved converting the Italeri kit to look just like the revell / monogram kit?
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 05:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's amazing, how much work was involved converting the Italeri kit to look just like the revell / monogram kit?

lol

yeah, that has got to be an editor slip up there.

I have to say that is a good build up of the monogram kit though!
awrc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
AeroScale: 61 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 07:09 AM UTC
Hate to spoil the fun, but the US did try to sell the A-10 to other countries. At one point they were really pushing (pre-Revolutionary) Iran to buy it. However, I seem to recall that depleted uranium ammo was not part of the package in any of the attempted sales. Some very interesting scenarios seem possible if that sale had gone through, though.

Of course, the only reason they managed to sell any to the USAF was that the unthinkable alternative of the US Army operating its own fixed-wing aircraft for CAS.

Al

Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 09:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hate to spoil the fun, but the US did try to sell the A-10 to other countries. At one point they were really pushing (pre-Revolutionary) Iran to buy it. However, I seem to recall that depleted uranium ammo was not part of the package in any of the attempted sales. Some very interesting scenarios seem possible if that sale had gone through, though.

Of course, the only reason they managed to sell any to the USAF was that the unthinkable alternative of the US Army operating its own fixed-wing aircraft for CAS.

Al

Thanks Al, I had not heard that before. That has never been mentioned in any of the History/Military Channel stuff I've seen on T.V. Except for the fact the Air Force really did not like them, at first until after the first Gulf War.
bill_bain
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 17 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2008 - 03:50 PM UTC
Eairchild also made a play to sell the two seat variant to Malaysia for naval patrol, perhaps carrying the Exocet. Nothing came ot the sales effort -- the 'Hog just wasn't sexy enough.
 _GOTOTOP