_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
ROLLING PE Mg JACKETS
mgtaylor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 59 posts
AeroScale: 56 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 08:25 AM UTC
A Dear Friend ASKED me to Post this for you all ? I dont know why cause I am appearently I am in need of a Manicure but you will see for your self.

I mentioned in a previous posting how I used a PE ROLLING TOOL to bend my Mg Cooling Jackets into tubes and they asked to see how ?

SO Allow me to share. It is an Expensive tool but with DOzens of PAirs of Mg Barrels to bend and the Instaneous quick and consistent results of the TOOL it has paid for itself in Perfectly used PE Mg Jackets and not a dozen balled up bent pieecs of PE I used to end up with.

I have a "Deluxe Brass Assist Rolling Set" PE ROLLING TOOL from "THE SMALL SHOP" They produce & Retail PE Bending / Rolling Cutting TOOLS.

http://thesmallshop.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3

THe Tool has a Neoprene or some such soft rubber mat on on side and Rolling Groove's on the Other. It also has slots for bending and making "Grab" Handles.

mgtaylor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 08:29 AM UTC
First I anneal the PE Rolling Mg Jacket BY Passing it slowly over a LOW open Flame. Too Hot a Flame and Holding too Long and you can Melt/Burn up the PE into a Ball of Soder.

You heat it till it changes color momentarily to a Cherry Red and then let it COOL By itself to room temp. DO not Quelch it in water etc or you will have defeated teh purpose. It maybe necessary to clean off the carbon Carefully. It WILL Now BE as SOFT AS BUTTER to work with.

You then take a ROLLING Pin On the Rubber Matt and Roll it over the FLAT PE like a Pie Crust.

The Ends WILL CURL UP Like a Curly French Fry.

Its ready then to place in the Grooves on the other side and ROLL CLOSED
mgtaylor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 08:31 AM UTC
You THEN use the Included Rolling pins to Press it into the Groves and Bend it CLOSED

You can move it along to samller Grooves and Pins as you go along to make it smaller
mgtaylor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 08:34 AM UTC
AND......WHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLAHAHAHAH !! YOUR DONE FINISHED LESS THAN TWO MIN. SAME RESULTS EACH TIME.

Place it on the Kit Barrel PART and CA in place and Place Cross hairs in Front piece with CA YOUR FINISHED

mgtaylor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 08:41 AM UTC
There is an Accessory to the Tool Which Includes Extra and ALL types of Rolling Dowls and Metal Pins for ANY kind of PE Bending /Rolling.

Here are a couple of SPandau Pics which give a sense of scale and clearly show whcih end of the cooling jacket mates with the stock. The end with the Oblong cooling holes.

These are from the 2003 WWI Dawn Patrol Airshow in Dayton OHIO. I AM NOT in ANY of the PICS.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 11:47 AM UTC
Thanks Mike,
I have one of those sets, but have not used it yet.
Your little SBS sure helps.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 03:01 PM UTC
Great visual tutorial Michael ! Very nice indeed.
HONEYCUT
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 08:33 PM UTC
Well done Michael! I knew not that something like this was on the market.
I like the consistency of the results.
Looking at the last couple of close-ups, I hope no hand models were harmed during the making of this SBS?
Brad
 _GOTOTOP