Rattler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 512 posts
AeroScale: 104 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 04:55 PM UTC
2nd project is Tamiya’s FockWulf Fw 190 D-9 aka the Dora

Fw 190 D-9 * W.Nr.210003* from 12./JG54 in Oldenberg Germany October 1944,

This particular plane, the 3rd production series Dora was used by Oberleutnant Hans Dortemann, who kept it up until the Armistice where he destroyed it himself, * I have to wonder what thought’s were going thru his head after surviving the war and having to end his bird like this.* This in it’s self was a record at a time when most fighters averaged a lifespan of 4 hours… Hmm 4 hours…Sure beats the hell out of being a door gunner *30 sec* in Nam…or a Lt *3 min* on the ground, Anyways... On with it

The colors this bird sported were the typical RLM 75 with RLM 83 upper with the tail section being painted yellow, this being done was to help facilitate recognition and to help less experienced pilots during training flights and regrouping, it also sports the lower engine cowling in yellow as well, at this time that was a trade mark of the Staffelkapitans plane. It also carries a White spiral on the spinner.

Cockpit was followed per directions, painting in RLM66 like normal, then comes the fun part….NOT… this was the mind numbing of painting the details. Once all this dried over night I did an oil wash with Mig’s oil paint Abt110 Black, Instrument panel, sidewalls, control stick and bucket all got a wash of the black oil paint.
Next I started on the wheel well bay, landing gear, an landing gear doors and tail wheel, all were done in RLM 02 once this dried I set to painting the hoses on the wheel well, Those dried and then an oil wash was applied. After a couple days of letting the oil wash set up an dry Completely I went back to the landing gear and added Bare Metal Aluminum foil around the strut. Next step for the landing gear is to drill a very small hole for the break line, then attach the landing gear doors an set that aside to dry over night. Engine was painted black, then dry brushed with MM Metalizer paints, with the base coat of drying brushing of Dark Anodonic Gray when that dried an set I did a light over brushing of Stainless Steel, both of these paints are the Buffing series from the Metalizer lacquers. Once the engine was completely dried it was also given an oil wash with the Abt110 Black oil paint.

Oh yes, almost forgot...

1 major problem I had was in the wring root area.. massive gap.. this was filled with Andrea sculpting putty, I used this instead of my normal stand by of Mr Surfacer 500, reason for this is that the Andrea Sculpt can be smoothed out very finely with a round brush dipped in water… works beautifully. Give it a try sometimes see if you like it.

Dora is already primed an ready for painting, should get this done in a couple days.

Ok so here are the photos now lol

Cheers
Chris

** Side note guys, photos are miss labeld**.. not enough sleep lol

dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 918 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2008 - 06:18 AM UTC
A very interest begining Chris, very nice ,

It´s 1/48?
Rattler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2008 - 08:49 AM UTC
Hi Daniel,

yeppers 48th from tamiya. Will have some updated photo getting posted tonight.. shot the RLM 04 should be dry by now.. but humidity has been a real pain here last couple days..
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
AeroScale: 278 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 04:48 PM UTC
Chris:

Another superb cockpit. The instruments look great
Rattler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 05:01 PM UTC
thank you Taylor,

but truth be told I had a few shakes going that day.... couldn't focus worth a damn, but I guess things came out ok...

should be updating some photos tonight on this build and loading up the finished K4's as well

Chris
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 06:01 AM UTC
Looks great, Chris.

Great job on the spinner(s). I was actually considering doing this Dora for the "Aces High" campaign, but decided on a JV 44 Dora instead. It will be interesting to see your Dora when finished.

Looking forward to see more
Rattler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 10:43 AM UTC
ok so todays been a rather crappy day... humidity is being a pain in the rump... but here are 3 shots of the camo so far..

As you can see on this photo.. there are some screw ups, but don't worry I'll get those fixed... gotta love tx weather... NOT...

As you can see on this photo.. there are some screw ups, but don't worry I'll get those fixed... gotta love tx weather... NOT...

Well that's all for now ...

Chris
Rattler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 09:28 PM UTC
ok,

fresh off the bench... retouched up with mistakes corrected in the paint job

more work to come... looks likes it's gonna be an all nighter/dayer

Chris
dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 918 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 01:32 PM UTC
That´s a great job you are doing Chris. I have one of this in box so I paying attention in your progress
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:22 AM UTC
Very nice paint job, Chris. It is going to look stunning with the contrast between the camouflage and the yellow tail.

Great progress
BattleRabbit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
AeroScale: 21 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:02 AM UTC

um... I'm confused. D-9s had inline engines, Junker's Jumos if I am not mistaken, and that is certainly not a Jumo.
Rattler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:09 AM UTC
** Side note guys, photos are miss labeld**.. not enough sleep lol

BR, sorry to confues ya man, but in the first posting just above the first photo is a lil side note..

the engine shown wasn't supposed to be there.. hence the side note... 4 days and no sleep.. I got alil thrown off with labeling photos, lol

will get a photo of the inline engine today at some point.

so don't worry, but points to ya for snagging me on it lol nice to see someone is paying attention...grins

Cheers

Chris
whittman181
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 646 posts
AeroScale: 67 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 06:53 PM UTC
Your paint job is excellent She'll look great when finished Bob
 _GOTOTOP