_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
do you prepaint or assemble first
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 02:21 PM UTC
Prev untitiled post please ignore one of my children hit the enter button before I was able to title my post...here it is...
Sorry

Hi guys This might be a dumb question BUT.... for major sub assemblies ie:cockpit,wheels etc do you build as much as possible prior to painting or do you paint first and then assemble. The reason I ask is I'm building an F4u Corsair, I pre painted the cockpit and various sub-assemblies then assembled the whole pit.
I forgot that gluing painted surfaces doen't give a great bond.
So what do you guys do

Cheers
Chris
whittman181
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 646 posts
AeroScale: 67 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 06:19 PM UTC
With a cockpit I pre-paint. I guess i pre-paint most of airplanes and then mask to paint the wings and fuselage. Armor I will build in large sub assemblies and then paint but it depends on the situation. Hope I didn't confuse the issue I confused myself Bob
HawkeyeV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
AeroScale: 129 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 - 04:43 AM UTC
There are some who do and some who don't. I paint the parts that I cannot access from the outside before the are enclosed. I paint the outside after the majority of the assembly is done. I've never totally mastered the paint the whole thing before you build technique. I do have a friend who has and you can read his method here: http://www.hawkeyeshobbies.com/feature.htm#a

I like to build and paint them as the real deal was done. Real aircraft get their paint after they are finished, not before the sections are mated on the factory floor. That's why their paint booths are so huge!
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 - 05:20 AM UTC
My usual method is to paint the cockpit parts etc while they are still on the sprue.
Once they are assembled then I'll give them a wash and weather them and this blends everything together.
The airframe is sprayed as a whole, although I might attach a cowling temporarily to ensure the upper/lower camo demarcation line matches and then remove it to make painting the cowling band easier.
Wheel wells I paint first and then stuff them with wet tissue paper to mask them off.
BIts and pieces such as wheels, undercarriage doors and legs, pitot heads, radio masts etc I paint seperately and leave until last.
Regarding canopies.
If the canopy frames are a different colour to the airframe I paint them seperately. If however they are the same colour, eg an olive drab P51 or P47, I'll attach them temporarily and spray/fade them as part of the main paint job to ensure that they match it.
Hope this helps.
Nige
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 243 posts
AeroScale: 150 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 - 06:57 AM UTC
to get a good glue bond I carefully scrape the paint off the surfaces to be bonded with a blade, I am certainly still learning however it works for me
B-17-guy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 27 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 - 11:14 AM UTC
Keeep doing it how your doing it, just make sure to scrape the paint where the glue goes, or paint around those too.
lincoln
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 12 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2008 - 02:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My usual method is to paint the cockpit parts etc while they are still on the sprue.
Once they are assembled then I'll give them a wash and weather them and this blends everything together.
The airframe is sprayed as a whole, although I might attach a cowling temporarily to ensure the upper/lower camo demarcation line matches and then remove it to make painting the cowling band easier.
Wheel wells I paint first and then stuff them with wet tissue paper to mask them off.
BIts and pieces such as wheels, undercarriage doors and legs, pitot heads, radio masts etc I paint seperately and leave until last.
Regarding canopies.
If the canopy frames are a different colour to the airframe I paint them seperately. If however they are the same colour, eg an olive drab P51 or P47, I'll attach them temporarily and spray/fade them as part of the main paint job to ensure that they match it.
Hope this helps.
Nige

how do you attach the canopy and other parts temporarily ? what kind of glue do use for this ?

cheers
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 12:57 PM UTC
I use small amounts of white glue for that , just enough to hold the part in place . once the paint has dried and any other coats of dull coat . I run it under water and this desolves the white glue . Then i finish the air frame . Hope this helps you out .
lincoln
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 12 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 05:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I use small amounts of white glue for that , just enough to hold the part in place . once the paint has dried and any other coats of dull coat . I run it under water and this desolves the white glue . Then i finish the air frame . Hope this helps you out .

ive tried using white pva glue for canopys but i find it wont stick to the plastic
Blackwulf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 215 posts
AeroScale: 120 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 05:53 AM UTC
In tight areas like the cockpit, I paint as much as I can and then assemble. I scrape off areas to be glued and then apply liquid cement (Tenax for example). I have found that if you are careful and control the amount applied with the needle applicator that it doesnt mar up the paint too bad if at all. After the glue has set and the parts are welded, I will touch up the glue seam line with the appropriate color and usually these areas can be weathered slightly to further improve the area that has been glued. I think this whole topic is an individual experience and preference issue. Just try a few paths and stick with what works best for you!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 04:43 AM UTC
Have you tried using Super Kristal Kleer from MicroScale , I use this as well , just remembered that I have this same as white glue but better
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 08:15 AM UTC
Thanks to one and all who responded
Sorry for not acknowledging this sooner have been in and out of hospital for several weeks with a very sick child who is finally on the mend.
Cheers
chris
 _GOTOTOP