_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Blackhawk under pilot seat compartment
cheese
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
AeroScale: 45 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 03:13 PM UTC
Does anyone know what the reason for the underseat compartment under the pilot seats is? Ive seen several pics from others that have it scratched and was wondering what the reason for them is. In addition, does anyone have a picture??? I created the compartments and would love to fill it in but the truth is that I lost whatever reference photo I was using.

Thanks for any of your responses.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 03:31 PM UTC
The reason it is there is for crash-worthiness. In a crash, the pilots seats collapse into the space below them and absorb some of the shock of the impact so their spine doesn't take it all. I don't have any clear pics of the areas, but they are filled with a few "black boxes", actually most are green, for various systems on the helo. Just add a few boxes and some wiring in each hole and it will look fine, it can't really be seen well anyways.
cheese
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 - 02:59 PM UTC
Ha, 2 responses from Gino...If I ever meet you, I will surely buy you a drink or a juice if your not a sipping man.

Cheers,
Mike
sneakypete
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
KitMaker: 149 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 02:18 AM UTC
As for whats under the seat, as Gino said its some "boxes" read as radios. Or you can cover it up like in the real deal. We have some material (like naugahide, you know the fake leather) that is black with velcro on the sides to cover the holes to prevent stuff from falling in there. I will try to remember the camera so you can have a look tomorrow.

Dan
sneakypete
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
KitMaker: 149 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 04:05 AM UTC
Here they are, they mystery of whats under the pilots seats in a blackhawk. In both sides i've included with the cover inplace and a clear view. Normally I keep my lunch box under there while I fly (I am kidding of course) and have do dig my publications and pens out after a flight seriously.

These are the left side (co-pilots side) facing aft.....

These are of the right side (pilots side) facing the left.....

I hope they help

-Dan
cheese
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 07:35 PM UTC
Dan,
I was going to follow Gino's rationale but after seeing your post, I will be cutting out the doors and leaving them open. Thanks a ton for the great pictures. Sorry it took so long to reply but I have been jumping around on projects. My blackhawk will come back out as soon as I get the update from Cobra Co.

Regards,
Mike
 _GOTOTOP