Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Czech Avia S-99 (109G-10) colours
buggalugs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 135 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 02:23 AM UTC
Hi there, a question for all you 109 experts out there. It's in relation to colours used on the Czech-built 109G-10 clone, the Avia S-99, immediately after WWII.

I'm building the 1/72 Hobby Boss 109G-10 kit as one of the above, using the Tally Ho decal sheet which has markings for six pretty colourful aircraft. I'm doing one of the obvious choices, in what was probably RLM-77 equivalent upper surfaces, and with extensive scarlet trim. My question is in relation to the undersurface colour. Tally Ho suggests that this might have been an RLM-75 mittelgrau equivalent, but very unhelpfully doesn't provide any guide to demarcations etc (let alone a dedicated undersurface view), other than an ambiguous arrow on a side profile which - if correct - means the colour would have been applied in a very narrow strip along the base of the fuselage (and presumably under the wings). My concern is (and I might be wrong because I know little of Luftwaffe colours, let alone post-war Czech paint schemes) that RLM-75 seems an awfully dark colour to paint the underside of a plane, particularly one that has RLM-77 uppersurfaces?

I have seen some pictures of kits utilising the Tally Ho-provided schemes that have been posted on the internet, and they seem to have used RLM-77 all over, which makes more sense to me, but grateful any views!!! thanks, Brad
 _GOTOTOP