_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Polikarpov I-16 Build
m_buchler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 137 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2008 - 06:53 PM UTC
Here’s my latest project, the Hobbycraft 1:48 Polikarpov I-16. This will be a Type 10 variant.

Of course, Eduard makes a fine I-16 kit already, I have built one with good results. But I had three of these older Hobbycraft/Academy kits in the stash for some time, which I did not want to simply relegate to the ash heap of history. Can they be brought up to date? Why, yes!

First, I wanted to open up the cockpit area. Here, you can see I ground off the molded closed doors. The aftermarket kit I’m using comes with seperate doors which can be affixed in the open position.

The kit’s molded in exhaust pipes are pretty horrific. Bleah! Let’s just grind those off, too!

Well now that I did that, I’ll need to modify the firewall. If not, it protrudes noticeably into the exhaust pipe ports.

The real plane had these two round portholes above the dash, to allow light in. I had to add my own:

Underneath, I added holes in the wheel wells to accomodate the gear retractor cables.

Now the aftermarket cockpit parts can be installed:

More progress to come soon....

jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:44 PM UTC
Great I look forward to some updates. It's good to see builds from someone with experience of building a few kits of the same type as there is always things I want to do different when you've finsihed
next up on my list is i-16 in 1:72 I got at a show.
When I opened the box up there was loads of resin parts for the engine and cockpit. Bonus!
Have you a link to your eduard build too?
mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 171 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:24 AM UTC
Excellent start! If I may, don't forget to add the "window" to the one wheel well (starboard? can't remember now) that allowed the pilot to see if the gear were down all the way.
dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 918 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 03:02 AM UTC
A very interesting project Mark. It seems very nice
whittman181
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 646 posts
AeroScale: 67 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 04:55 PM UTC
The instrument panel looks very nice and will accentuate the model nicely Keep the posts coming as I'd love to see it finished , thanks Bob
m_buchler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 137 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2008 - 06:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Have you a link to your eduard build too?

Yes- you can see it at my website www.vairhead.net/modelshack

Thanks everyone for your comments and interest!
 _GOTOTOP