_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
UH-1Y
sneakypete
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
KitMaker: 149 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 02:42 AM UTC
For all you UH-1 fans out there here is a paper put out by Bell on the Marine UH-1Y. This is one impressive aircraft, I wish the Army would of bought it rather than the ARH-70 underpowered thing. Enjoy.

-Dan

http://www.bellhelicopter.com/en/aircraft/military/pdf/UH1Y_PG_3-06_web.pdf
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2008 - 09:09 PM UTC
It looks pretty impressive. The USMC is stretching the longevity of the Huey far. Can't wait until it is operational.

Quoted Text

I wish the Army would of bought it rather than the ARH-70 underpowered thing.

You can't compare the two. It is like comparing a pick-up truck to a sports car. They are two different aircraft used for different missions. The ARH-70 is more than adequate for the armed recce role. The idea that it can carry a couple scouts is a bonus.
sneakypete
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
KitMaker: 149 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 09:17 AM UTC
My point in the choice for the ARH is that it is still single engine and underpowered. By buying an off the shelf and combat proven acft would facilitate fielding a new weapon system. The ARH is still in the R&D stages. All my bretheren that fly the recon roll (which is going to the UAS, the whole reason why I chose to fly the Hawk) are tremendious pilots who can fly that lawnmower through hell, but I promise you that everyone of them would love that second engine. Going low and slow sneekin and peekin is not the place to lose an engine and try to do an autorotation.

Dan
Taco
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 17 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 09:31 AM UTC
I am just disappointed there is no reference to supplier discounts, financing options, cup holders, or paint options.
HawkeyeV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
AeroScale: 129 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 02:37 AM UTC
Thats definitely not your grandfathers Huey. Have they taken a simple proven workhorse and made it into yet another overly complex and expensive system?
MARPAT
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Northern Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 206 posts
AeroScale: 37 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 03:39 AM UTC
Well it has given new life to an old system which seems to be a common occurrence with US military equipment. At least it breathes new life into a working system. That is what is important, as long as it flies and gets the job done why not. I don't know with all the funding with the War on Terrorism if this will be completed in the near future but it is a possibility.
 _GOTOTOP