_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Other UH-60 details
sneakypete
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
KitMaker: 149 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 06:14 AM UTC
Here is some other info on building a better Blackhawk model.
Here is an example of a towbar that we use in this unit. In past units a ratchet strap was used on the tow bar itself to keep it tight on the rear wheel since it didn’t have the crank to tighten it.

This is the AMSS (Aircraft Modular Survival System). It is normally placed between the crewchief seats and tied down to the floor. Each aircraft is equipped with one with some survival gear in it.

Here is a picture of the two types of crewchief tool boxes that you may see. Typically they are tied down next to the AMSS or even buckled in a seat.

For those of us that don't have the steadist of hands don't fear when painting the "no-slip" lines on the floor of the aircraft. The crewcheifs don't do a great job either when they repaint them.

The rotor blades have the bare section on the leading edge that is part of the manufacturing process. There can be seen spots where the paint has flaked where it should be black. In the desert environment the blades are equipped with some plastic strips that help keep the edge from eroding, or they are painted to help slow the erosion. Also the blades have a natural sag in them when in the resting position. Here are some of the markings on the blades and a blade rope attachment point.

I hope this helps those of you out there working on a Blackhawk. I am also working on a feature on uniforms and flight gear of modern Army aviators, but that may still be a while.

Enjoy,
Dan
norbertJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Loire, France
KitMaker: 219 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:51 PM UTC
Great pictures Dan, great addition with unusual pictures, thank you

Here is my current build
http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=117822&pid=1397089&st=180&#entry1397089

Norbert
 _GOTOTOP